Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shera_melton

My new baby Duck

shera_melton
17 years ago

I just bought a baby duck from our local farm and feed store and I have a few questions. First off, how do I know what breed of duck it is? I cannot find a good website to help me. Second, how do you play with a duck? I know they like to splash in water but there has to be some way to play with them. Lastly do they need vitamins?

Comments (47)

• ruthieg__tx
    17 years ago

My first thoughts...poor baby duck....

• shera_melton
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Why poor baby duck? This duck is going to have the best home and life I can possibly give it.

• Maggie_J
    17 years ago

I think what ruthieg means is that it is better for our animals to find out what they need before actually buying them. So many people buy animals on impulse, with the best of intentions, but not enough knowledge.

Run, don't walk, to a good bookstore or your library and get a book on caring for ducklings. Also try some Google searches using keywords like "domestic ducklings care feeding" or "brooding ducklings". You will need a crash course on ducks. Its care and feeding are far more important just now than what breed it is or how you can play with it.

I can't help you too much with specifics since I have only chickens, geese and rabbits. Each type of bird and animal has its own needs. If you have a specific question, please post it so others with ducks can help you. You should also use the "search" feature on this forum to read other threads about ducklings.

Good luck. I hope your duckling does well.

• ruthieg__tx
    17 years ago

That is precisely what I meant...any questions you had should have been taken care of before you bought the duck...The feed store should have told you what kind it was...most likely its a pekin...they are the most common...eventually they become white instead of little yellow creatures..that is of course if it is a little yellow duckling at the moment...most of the other breeds have pretty distinctive markings or colorings and are pretty easy to name as soon as they have their real feathers...there are websites around that will show you pictures...On the pekins the male will eventually have a little part of his tail that curls up and the female won't...come back to the thread when it is feathered out and tell us what it looks like and we can tell you what kind it is...

Ducklings are not all that easy to raise...they need water to keep them from choking but not too deep or they like chicks will drown...they don't swim until they are older...but they need to keep the little nostrils open but dipping their beaks in water...they are nasty little creatures also..they shouldn't even be allowed to get wet until they are fully feathered..They shouldn't need any vitamins...Just make sure that you are feeding them a good high quality ration...go to the feed store and talk to them about what they have in stock...Ducks are noisy but some have real personalities...they generally are not that social with people but may be if you have no other creatures for them to associate with...If you have food in your hand they will follow you everywhere...Enjoy your little duck...

• Maggie_J
    17 years ago

Also, make sure the starter feed you get for him is NOT medicated. Medicated feed can kill waterfowl.

Perhaps you did your homework prior to getting the duckling and your questions about breed and play were merely suppplemental. I hope this is the case.

We do want to help you raise this duckling, but it makes us sad when someone dives in without proper preparation and knowledge. So often the young bird dies.

• shera_melton
    Original Author
    17 years ago

There's really no need to worry. The feed we bought is specially for baby ducks and chicks, we have a heat lamp, a water dish big enough to drink out of but not big enough to get really wet in, stuffed animals for it to snuggle up against, a big cage so it can run around and play when were not home, and we raise squirrles, raccons, dogs, rabbits, and an out door cat. We are quite prepared. The baby is doing excellent and loves to fall asleep in my lap.

• Maggie_J
    17 years ago

I'm so glad!

• mamacotti
    17 years ago

Shera, describe to us what your little duck looks like. What color is it? What color are the bill and the feet.

Don't feed them bread...the best food is the unmedicated duck, goose, & chick feed. If you only got one, then be prepared for LOTS of noise when you are not with it. If you can go back and get one more, I'd highly reccommend it...for your own sanity. Don't let them swim until fully feathered out...about 2 months, maybe? Also, if he's allowed to run free in the yard, alone, you're very likely to lose him...

Don't mean to sound redundant, and you've probably already learned these things...but so many folks buy a baby duck thinking to stick in their neighborhood pond...all good intentions...but they don't realize you have to raise it FIRST! Good luck, have fun, and keep us updated!

Suzie

• motherduck
    17 years ago

Here are some tips for raising waterfowl:

-get at least one more duckling since they're happiest as part of a flock
    -feed plenty of greens like chopped grass, cabbage, dandelions, etc.
    -add brewer's yeast to the feed since young waterfowl have high requirements for niacin
    -make sure the feed has no more than 18% protein after the first few weeks of age or leg and wing problems could develop from a fast growth rate
    -too much high energy feed can also cause problems
    -never give layer feed to growing birds
    -do not feed bread to growing birds (the occassional little treat should be okay though)
    -supply fine grit in a separate container
    -never leave ducks (or geese) without drinking water
    -make sure outdoor birds have access to shade on hot days
    -protect from predators

A small duckling can chill easily if wet so try to keep it reasonably dry (this can be difficult!). A heat source is especially important in this situation but it's also important that the duckling has room to move away if too hot.

Ducks also like to forage. They eat lots of bugs, etc. I'd also keep your raccoon away since they can be vicious predators to ducks. Also be careful with the dog. Cats should be okay once ducklings are older.

As someone already mentioned, many medicated starter feeds formulated for chicks aren't safe for waterfowl. Feeds medicated with Amprolium (Amprol) are safe but not really necessary.

Make sure the duck is always handled with care since wings and legs are easily injured. Also be careful not to roughly handle or squeeze mature females so as not to break an egg that may be inside (which could result in a painful death).

This may all sound overwhelming at first, lol, but it's worth it in the end. I find ducks a pleasure to have. Good luck!

• GennyM
    17 years ago

Good Luck with your new baby duck! They are so much fun! I have a muscovie right now that is laying eggs. Today there are 7 eggs! I think she will be a good mom when they hatch, even though this will be the first time!

• shera_melton
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My baby is yellow with black markings on it's back, head, and like a mask around it's eyes. I was going to get more but they only had one left so... It is so noisy! It never stops chirping but i don't care, the sound is peaceful at times.

• GennyM
    17 years ago

aaawww! I bet it's adorable! Well, you know you can always get another kind of baby duck if you want to! It doesn't have to be the same kind yours is. All ducks will bond (usually) especially if they are raised together and grow up together as babies

• mamacotti
    17 years ago

Yeah, it's chirping because it's scared because it's alone. Any other duckling, or even a chick (not a banty) would be company for him. Preferrably another duck, or gosling. He needs another friend, though!

• Maggie_J
    17 years ago

I agree with Mamacotti... Your duckling will be happier - and healthier - with another duckling for company. Same thing applies to chicks, goslings... and ANY other critter that is not by nature solitary.

• dreamgarden
    17 years ago

This is a good time of year to bring this topic up. Look how many people buy their children a baby duck or rabbit for Easter with no idea how to properly care for them.

Shera
    Sounds like your baby is off to a good start with everything you mentioned you have done plus all the helpful posts in this forum.

• broomhildah
    17 years ago

If baby ducks aren't supposed to swim, why is it the first thing a momma duck does is takes her brood out to the pond (or lake, or river, or mud-puddle)?! Pooie! Baby ducks can swim, and love to do so...they just can't do it for long stretches of time. Momma ducks can take care of the needs of lots of babies, but when raising a pet in the house you do have to be a little more careful. Fill the bathtub with luke-warm water and let little Donald swim around everyday. He will LOVE it! And it's great duckercise. When swim-time is over, dry him off with a towel just like rover after bathtime. Keep him warm until Quacky dries completely. As for play...some ducks are duds in the personality department...but every once in awhile you get a real firecracker. One that loves to play and has a true interest and curiosity about the goings on in human life. Keep little ducky engaged and included and your fingers crossed that he's one of the few that grow up to be just as much a part of the family as Fluffy the cat. Oh yeah, if he is a Peking, get ready. They grow BIG! And the bigger they grow, they bigger they poop. If he becomes a lap-duck, get ready to have alot of kleenex handy! Something else too. If Donald turns out to be a Daisy, she's probably going to be noisy. If Daisy is really a Donald and you think Rover humping your leg is embarrassing you are going to be quite unhappy with your Mr. Duck's amorous displays of affection. They are often, and they are not gentle!
    Good luck and remeber that duck's are pretty hardy. In my experience, they don't break they bounce!

• sumac
    17 years ago

The first thing I learned when researching how to raise a baby duck was, "never try to raise a baby duck alone as they miss their siblings more than they miss MOM." All that peeping is cries of loneliness. (been there) I agree with all posted above. Get another duck (or two, that way if something happens to one the two remaining still have each other)One male and two females or all females is the best mix. Too many males and the female gets injured. Any breed. You could try a different feed store as many have 'chick days' in the spring. Ducks have alot of personality and are great fun but they are VERY MESSY. They need constant fresh water as they seem to like to poop in it. You'll find all this out in your searches. I would go to amazon and order the book 'Raising the home Duck flock' that way you have an easy reference at your fingertips. Good luck

• browns9595
    17 years ago

I found a baby duck at a school yesterday. I looked around and found no other ducklings or mother duck. I decided to bring it home. I found this site and others from a search. I bought some duck feed from a local feed mill. I also have a large cage for it. I don't know how old it is. It is still fuzzy, but it has stiff feathers coming in on it's tail and wing tips. Any clue how old? It is a Mallard by the way. I put water in my bathtub for it to swim. It is slope so that it is deeper at one end. That way it can walk out of the water. It seems to enjoy the water and even cleans its self while swimming. It also loves to crawl up under my chin and sleep. Is this normal? Is there anything i'm doing wrong or need to do differently? Any help would be great. Thank you.

• Maggie_J
    17 years ago

Browns, it sounds as though you have good instincts for caring for your duckling. It must like you if it snuggles under your chin.

There is good imformation in this thread. I suggest you read all the duck threads you can find on this forum and also get a good book on ducks either from a bookstore or library.

Your duckling really does need another duckling for company. Try your local feed store and if they don't have them, ask if they know anyone in the area who has ducks. They may know of someone, since people go there to buy duck food. Good luck.

Oh, one more thing. There may be laws against raising a mallard without some kind of permit. You might want to check it out before you get too attached to it.

• browns9595
    17 years ago

I went to a hatchery today and got a day old mallard for the one i rescued. They seem to get along very well. They follow me all around the house and eat like teenagers. lol Thank you for all your advice.

• princess45001
    17 years ago

FIRST YOU HAVE A MALLARD DUCK.SECOND BAD ADVICE DO NOT GET A CHICK FOR COMFORT I DID THIS MY DUCK CONTINUOUSLY ATTACKED IT.MY DUCKS BEST FRIEND IS MY DOG.HE IS A YORKIE VERY SMALL.HE HAS GREAT PERSONALITY.VERY PLAYFUL.I HAVE FOUND BABY DUCKS CAN SWIM AND DO REQUIRE A DAILY ONE TO CLEAN THEMSELVES.MINE WILL EVEN SCREAM TIL HE GETS ONE THEN LETS ME KNOW WHEN HE WANTS OUT.HE SLEEPS ALONE AND PREFERS IT.AS LONG AS YOU KEEP WATER THEY TEND TO LEARN TO KEEP QUIET.THEY ARE VERY MESSY WITH THEIR WATER.TRY FINDING PULL TOYS LIKE THE LITTLE DOG YOU PULL ALONG WE LOVED SO WELL AS KIDS THEY LOVE TO FOLLOW THEM.BREAD IS O K IN RATIONS BUT STICK WITH DUCK FEED FOR A WHILE.I NEVER USED A HEAT LAMP BUT MY DUCK IS KEPT INSIDE.ALSO I WAS NEVER WARNED THEY JUMP.(WE NAMED OURS JUMPER)HE LOVES TO JUMP OUT OF BOXES IF THEY ARE SHORT ENOUGH.IF YOU LET HIM OUT TO RUN ALOT (WITH SUPERVISION THEY TRY TO EAT EVERYTHING)THEY DEVELOP GREAT PEOPLE PERSONALITIES.MINE LOVES TO BE PETTED AND TO TAKE BATHS WITH MY 3 YR OLD.JUST DONE LEAVE THEM IN DEEP WATER TOO LONG THEY TIRE QUICKLY.MINE DUNKS HIMSELF AS SOON AS HE GETS IN SO IT IS OK TO ALLOW THEM TO GET TOTALLY WET.HE IS NOW 3 WEEKS OLD.AND HUGE.MINE IS A PEKING

• GennyM
    17 years ago

I have a pekin. They are cute, aren't they?

• geiger
    17 years ago

My 6 yr old daughter and I found 2 baby ducks at the park this past Friday. They had been dyed for Easter; one pink and the other green. I thought it best they not remain at the park since they obviously were somewhat used to people. They didn't fight me too much when I picked them up. After talking with a local vet who handles birds, I was told to get them some poultry feed and to supply them with a safe outdoor place in my yard. She said that I could conceivably keep them until they feather out and them release them back at the pond in the park.

Does anyone have thoughts on this idea?

Also, how do I find out if they are male or female? I have read all over that they multiply pretty quickly. That is NOT something I would be able to handle.

Any advice is appreciated -- so glad I found this thread!

• oprah
    17 years ago

my husband recently found a newly hatched baby malard in the restaurant of his workplace, with no sign of another duck or chick anywhere outside or around, all alone. he brough the duckling home, and as he had raised ducks before we thought we would rear the duckling until it would be be and strong enough to release. we kept him in a big cardboard box, lined with towels, with a casserole dish with shallow water in (which he loved to jump in and out of to drink and play). we fed him a mixture of boiled egg, bread, and dandelion clippings. we sometimes let him wander round and explore in our room, which he seemed to enjoy. he loved attention, and whenever he got the chance, he would bury himself into us to sleep or cuddle. (i think he though we were his parents, as he was probably less than a day old when we found him). we did our best to take care of him, and at just under two weeks, i woke up to find he had died in his box overnight. he had been fine the day before, maybe chirping a little less than usually, but otherwise normal. we are very distraught, and upset. i would feel better if i could know why he died, and if there was something i could have done differently or better... does anybody know if it is unuasual for baby chicks to die or common, and what the main reasons are?

• shera_melton
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Was the poultry food you gave it unmedicated? If you buy the regular medicated chick food they will over does on the medication because they eat more than chicks do. What kind did you give it?

• twopinkhearts
    17 years ago

Hi! I have two, one week old ducks. They are different breeds. One is a runner, and the other is a high bred duck that will grow up to be all white and produce a lot of eggs. My question is, why is it that the high bred is constantly moving her mouth like she is panting?

• shera_melton
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mine do that. I think that they may be panting.

• twopinkhearts
    17 years ago

Does that mean that she is too hot? Thirsty maybe? They both drink plenty of water so being thirsty shouldn't be the case. Only one of my ducks does it, so I thought it was abnormal. Is it?! What it really looks like is she's trying to talk. She'll look like she's panting and then chirp a little bit and then she keeps on moving her mouth with no sound etc.

• tricia13
    17 years ago

I came home from brunch yesterday to find a duck who had made her nest in my backyard on top of my inground swimming pool cover with nine new baby ducks. They were swimming around (there was about 2-3 inches of water on top of the cover). They were so cute but then we realized that they couldn't get out. The cover slopes up about 3-4 feet and it was too slippery for the babies to get up. We put a piece of plywood in the pool so they could use it as a ramp but the mother just couldn't figure that out!! Evenutally we noticed the babies were getting COLD and tired. We had to scoop them out one at a time with the pool skimmer. One little baby duck didn't move when we took her out. She just fell onto her side and didnt' move. The mother returned to her nest with the other ducks. We used a glove and placed the duckling as close to the nest as we could but the mother just left her there. She was barely breathing and not moving so I picked her up and placed her in a box, lined with with a flannel cloth. We put a heat lamp on top and a heating pad and towel underneath the box. At first she just didn't move and fell right onto her side. She was hardly breathing. After an hour or so she began to sit up and tried to move a little. Within a few hours she was moving around and chirping. I put a few stuffed animals in the box for her to snuggle with and she has a very shallow bowl of water and some feed. It has only been 12 hours but she looks great and is chirping like crazy. Does anyone know if I should try to return her to the nest? Will the mother accept her now? I did pick her up with my hands? Will she smell that? I will keep her until she is old enough to care for herself and release her if I have to but I really wasn't looking for a new pet. I have two children under the age of two and am kinda worried about possible diseases or something. I just had to do something or else she was going to die. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• fancifowl
    17 years ago

It has been mentioned several times in this thread that medicated chick starter will kill ducklets, the med in starter today is Amprol, it will NOT harm ducklets. MOST duck breeders DO feed medicated chick starter to their young ducks, as do I, along with plenty of greens or niacin supplements. The only thing wrong with feeding chick starter with Amprol and not waterfowl feed is chick starter is deficient in Niacin, ducks need more than chickens.

• lfrj
    17 years ago

This message is in reply to Oprah who lost a baby Mallard. Our sympathies. In advance, my response is not based on experience raising ducks (we are enjoying this for the 1st time now), but upon many years of rearing caged birds- one of these a sparrow which fell through the chimney as a fledgling & imprinted so strongly, we regularly took her for walks in the park on our shoulder. She lived for 10 years!

I am first skeptical of the food you mentioned. To begin, birds do not have teeth to grind up solid foods; instead they have a muscular organ (a gizzard) and must therefore ingest grit (fine stones) to accompany the organ to do the grinding.

Baby birds are not ready for this and are generally fed a mash formula - even the hand fed parrots in the pet store. (In the wild, mother birds often regurgitate premasticated foods into their babies until they are ready for more solid stuff). In raising ours, I immediately preferred the starter pellets to mash, as it seemed easier for them to scoop up with rounded bills -and- since ducks usually take a nibble then quickly gulp some water, the pellets immediately dissolve back into...mash. (Stay away from chick feed, too much medication, ducks are voracious eaters).

It may be that your little one wasn't quite ready for the solid foods and suffered from a blockage.

My second thought may be that at only a week or so old, running about the house may have been more stressful than seemingly enjoyable. Birds are EXTREMELY sensitive to stress, so this may have factored in.

Finally, birds are altogether more fragile and clairvoyant about knowing whether or not their situations are suitable. They are tricky to raise (and rescue) as they seem to be ore readily willing to subdie if conditions are not right. I don't know why. Perhaps their little spirits would rather recycle and try again rather than struggle through a rough future after a compromised circumstance (even though it seems to us humans they should fully recover). Who knows?

It's a beautiful thing that you made the attempt, and valorable that you'd risk the aching feeling to just try, despite the outcome. Kudos.

And remember it's never entirely a loss. Lots of things were learned, an expereince was had (and as a result, you became a member of our forum!). For confidence, you may consider trying again with a domestic bird you wish to keep. It's rewarding to watch them grow.

• loveforallanimals
    17 years ago

How are your ducks doing now?? I had a duck for 9 years as a child and loved it. I do have a situation right now. A mother brought her babies into my pond for the first time yesterday and in the evening I thought I go down and see them, and she was quacking quite loudly. I realized something was wrong, and to my dismay 11 out of her 12 ducklings had been sucked down an overflow pipe. She was spastic and so was I. My husband and I did what we needed to do, since I wasn't going to let them die, and we were able to flush them all out and rescue them. I brought them back to her and she took them in the woods. I checked on her after I took my shower and found her in the pond. Now today I havent seen her all day. I'm afraid she won't come back....Does anyone know if she will???? Help I'm so sad.

• geiger
    17 years ago

Hi loveforallanimals ... be sure to post your message as a new thread on the Farm Forum main page (you replied here as part of another posting)

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/farmlife/

Posting on the main page of the Farm Forum will get more exposure.

I have no helpful input to your dilemma but I'll bet someone would. I posted and was helped with 2 ducks I found a few weeks back. You might also try this website which I found useful as to caring for them www.liveducks.com

Good luck!

• buffyenta314
    17 years ago

The baby duckling you rescued from your pool was suffering from hypothermia - ducklings don't have the protective oil feathers that adult ducks do and must get out of the water after a short time or they will get too cold and drown. The one that was tipping over was showing worse hypothermia symtoms than the others and everything that you did saved its life, so you did just fine.

Now, it is perfectly all right to pick up a duck or any other bird briefly to return it to its nest or parent. Bird do not have a well-developed sense of smell so you do not need to worry about a human scent on a baby bird. That is an old wives' tale. However, if you cannot find the right mother to return the baby to, you must take it to a wildlife rehabilitator to raise and release it when it is grown. A different mother will reject it, chase it away or even kill it. A mallard is a federally-protected migratory waterfowl and generally only licensed wildlife rehabbers are permitted to care for them. Plus, your duckling will have much,much better chance of survival with someone who knows how to care for it, probably with other orphaned mallards.
    If you want to try to reunite it with the mama, you can take it out in a cage and put the cage nearby and let her hear it chirp - the mother duck recognizes her own baby's sound. If she comes to investigate, and seems agitated that's good, but be certain before you release it that you have its mother. If she has no interest, you should get it to a wildlife rehabber. You can do a search for wildlife rehabilitators for your state, or contact me and I'll try to help you.

Good luck!

• acorn
    17 years ago

I work in a feed store every spring we get ducks, chicks, keets and geese to sell. We get between 75 and 100 babies at a time. My goal is to keep them alive and happy, I've been doing this for the past five years, for what it is worth this is what I learned. They need warmth, we have brooders because of the amount of animals the best bulb for at home are the infa red bulbs. We found organic unmedicated feed best the diffrence in growth and health worth the diffrence in price. The babies don't know how to drink so when we first put them in the brooder we dip their beaks in the water then watch to see them swallow. I put a homeopathic stress remedy in the water I use Rescue. If a baby sits or goes peep peep peep I give them another drinking lesson, learned that the hard way by finding dehyrided(sp) chicks. I also check their vents sometimes their poop plugs then up and they can't go that kills them. If I see crusty poop I take them out and gently wash their butts with warm water. There are two kinds of peeping, the loud peep peep peep is stress, here is usally is caused by being too cold when they are cold they huddle. There is a quiet peep they are content and are talking to each other. Ducklings and geese discuss everything.

• myersus6
    15 years ago

SHERA...we also just recently got baby ducklings from our local farm store and from your desciption they sound like ours. They may be baby mallards. We can't tell boy from girl at this stage as there doesn't seem to be a distinction at a few weeks. Will have to wait till their real feather start coming in but what a thrill in the wait! Am happy to borrow some of the advice others have given you in care. Was raised on a farm but Granny always kept young fowl in a warm box by the woodstove before returning them to the mother when all eggs had hatched.

• organic_iowa_boy
    15 years ago

I saw a momma duck in the road (she had been run over) but the ducklings wouldn't leave her side. I gathered them up and brought them home to raise to a point that I could release them. I went to a local feed store and they gave me some "Layer" feed and I bought some crickets to see if they were interested in them (which they were). I read on this thread that you shouldn't give ducklings layer food. Is that an absolute or is it just not recommended? Can they exist on the crickets alone? What types of greens can I give them? I called the humane society but they said they would likely be euthanized.

• beeliz
    15 years ago

I also feed my 2 ducklings layers mash (unmedicated)...is this bad?? I will go out tomorrow and get some chick starter just to be extra safe:)

• luckyduckowner
    14 years ago

A muscovite duck laid eggs in my back yard and 13 out of 14 eggs hatched. After a couple of days she left with her babies and has not been seen since. I was about to remove the egg shells from my yard when I noticed the 14th egg was hatching. I helped it hatch but did not think it would survive, placed it in a cardboard box lined with towels and plush toys heated with a lamp and a day later he is doing very well, jumping around and eating a little bit of mushed oatmeal and water. There is no duck feed at the only Feed store in town and will probably not find any nearby. The store owner gave me a bag of what looks like cracked grains, corn, oatmeal and something else but I'm not sure that is ok for him. Have any advice?

• seramas
    14 years ago

Ducks have the same exact nutrient requirements as do chickens. Any quality 20% chick starter/grower will do to age 6 weeks; then 15% chick grower/finisher to age 17 weeks; there after 16% layer ration will be a good maintenance ration.

• velvet_sparrow
    14 years ago

Good for you for helping the duck! :) In addition to what seramas said, I'd add to NOT give it enough water to swim in until it is about a week old--ducks aren't hatched waterproof, it needs to start secreting oil from it's preen gland and then have a few days to preen the oil into all of it's feathers to make them waterproof. Just give it drinking water at first.

Velvet ~:>

• forweler_aol_com
    12 years ago

I like how everyone is willing to be helpful to each other on this post. I am the proud new 'mom' of 3 ducklings. The person I got them from didn't want the required 5 that needed to be purchased. They only wanted 2. My college kids begged me to take them in. I spoke to all my nieghbors and they are all excited. On one side I have a retired couple and on the other a family with 2 kids 8 and 5. I have four kids, 21, 17, a 12 year old girl and a 7 year old. With that said these ducks are going to have a whole huge extended family that are excited about them. We have 2 ponds so I think they will be happy. I gave everyone a list of things that they can eat and what they cannot eat. They are almost 5 weeks old now and YES, very messy. We just have them in a similar setup as we do all our poults. They are in a 5 star hotel compared to where they came from. Hard work? Yes, but very worth it. I have done alot of reading and research and am wondering about the diapers. I would love to bring them in the house to socialize but I am concerned about my hardwood floors and thier feet. I am reading about the bumble foot and wonder if I have them walking around on these floors some if that will cause them problems. I also have chickens. Now I know the rooster is not going to be happy about them as he isn't happy about anything but his group of 'babes'. I will have to be careful until the ducks are able to fend for themselves. I am wondering if they can share the same coop if there is a seprating wall for the winter. I know they can coexist but I think there is never 'too much' information and would like to hear all different thoughts on this. I am also thinking about bringing these little guys in everyday to clean themselves and swim in a few inches of water in the bathtub for about 5 or so minutes. I know to dry them off and keep them warm and then I will put them back under their heatlamp home. I just want happy ducks that are healthy. I noticed that one of the ducks eyes looking a bit crusty so I gave him/her a face wash and looked this up and that's why I would like to have them come into the bathtub now so they can get themselves washed up, have fun and not drown. I also dont want to have their wings clipped. This is also a part of the reason I want them to bond here. Is it nessesary to have them clipped? Well, thanks everyone and I look forward to all your great input! :)

• annepeachess_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

So I was wondering....what kind of duck do I have? I read all the posts and have everything for my duck. He/she is about two months old, has a round head, small eyes with looks like a white small line on each side. He/she is yellow and a green color with a black beack. Oh he/she has a girly body so I was thinking its a boy and loves chasing/ running from my two and three year old, will not sleep intell its in bed with me, and likes to play tug a war with cat toys. I got him on Monday (after easter).

• anastasiastone
    12 years ago

I have a question about emergency measures to rescue ducklings. We found what look to be 1 day old ducklings who were left behind / couldn't make it to the water with the others. They were lying in the grass and definitely dehydrated....too weak to raise their heads, but still alive and can move their little wings. I have seen the information about the food you can feed them, but am wondering how I feed them when they aren't opening their beaks? Is there a different way other than trying to eyedrop some liquids on the side of their beaks that I can get them some food and water? They are on a soft blanket under a mild heat lamp for warmth and I am willing to feed every 20 - 30 minutes as long as I can get them to eat. Thank you for any pointers you can offer!

• courtney_spatz_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Dear Shera,
    I am an experianced farmers daughter and I know all about ducks.We have about 20 or so.I can answer all 3 of your questions. Number 1:I can find out my breed of duck by googling any breed of baby duck and looking at the pictures.Number 2:You cant reallt play with a duck except for maybe taking it outside for a few minutes every day and letting it eat the bugs in your lawn.Number 3:Baby ducks could use some vitamins when they are small but when they are a couple weeks old they can do without them.You usually get the ones you just mix in there water from your local feedstore.Good Luck! Sincerely, Zebra

• NewToDucks
    10 years ago

Around Easter (shocking I know), time I acquired to baby Pekin ducklings. Apparently a few of my buddies (ex-buddies) thought it would be a great April's fools joke to purchase them and put them in my bedroom while I was at work... NOT FUNNY AT ALL... Then when they said they were just going to just drop them off at the local pond; I had to step in! I have raised/bred show pigs all of my life, so I have a pretty good understanding on what baby animals need... And I know that sure as hell wouldn't work out to well for them... So of course I couldn't let them ditch these innocent ducklings!
    So I have been taking care of them since then, practically the same way as all of the ^above posts, heat lamps, proper food, plenty of water, safe bedding, etc.

The one huge problem I am having with them thus far, is how skittish they are around people (including myself). Now I am a full-time student with a job, so I may not always be home, but I make sure that I go and check on them before I leave in the mornings and make sure to sit with them as soon as I get home everyday. Eventually they may lay down while I am around them, but as soon I move they are gone!

This is becoming a huge issue because I know they need/would love to forage, enjoy the sunlight, and simply exercise, but two ducklings are QUICK and there's only one of me!!! There's just to much traffic, loose dogs, hawks, and tight places where I live to chance it.

Everyone say's to feed them by hand, but they have a huge duck feeder that I always keep full! So when I go to work with them by hand feeding them (with their regular feed); I feel like they aren't even hungry so its pointless!?!

When we use to have a skittish piglet, we could give them Vanilla Wafers and BOOM! Problem solved! They couldn't get enough of them and soon enough, you couldn't get them to leave you alone!

So... In conclusion, I have two questions:

1) Is there anything else I can do to help them become a little bit more comfortable around me? Maybe some kind of a special treat that is safe for ducks that they like? A different method possibly???

2) I'm guessing they were born some time around Easter. They are still yellow, but are slowly starting to show a slight white tint in color and their tail feathers are kind of spikey (well, lets just say different from the rest of their bodies) Any idea how old they may be? Or how much longer until they get their down feathers and turn completely white?

Any advice is welcomed,
    Thank You

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists