Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
chicken nest boxes, How many-how big

Posted by billc-2007 95821 (My Page) on
Thu, May 15, 08 at 0:54

I have six hens. four Delawares and two barred rocks. I am wondering how big to make the nest boxes 16"X16"X16 ie 14"X14X14 or somehting else. Is three boxes enouph for six hens? Thanks for you help. THis is the first time I have gotten chickens. They free range in the yard and garden area but sleep in the hen house at night which I biult. It has roosting boards and ladder to the roost but no nest boxes yet. They are about 4 months old and look almost full grown but just not fatten up yet. Thanks for any advice Bill C

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: chicken nest boxes, How many-how big

I would think for 6 hens, you wouldn't need more than two boxes, but they need to be attractive to the chickens. They like their nesting places to be fairly dark. The milk crate boxes are great if they are elevated off the floor and have plenty of cushonging on the bottom with hay and shredded pine.

Put a few golf balls in each to show them what the boxes are for and you shouldn't have a problem. If you need to darken them, you can just tape cardboard on the three sides that aren't open.

o

I agree, two would work but I'm sure if you want to make three they will use them! They don't need to be very large, 14 x 14 is fine. I get the impression that they like to feel confined when they're nesting. On the open side you should put something like a strip of lathe to hold the bedding in the box, and if they would otherwise be light, you might hang a curtain across the front to help keep it dark, leaving a bit of an opening so they'll get curious and go in.

And don't be surprised if all six want to lay in one box, two at a time! The flock mentality definitely leads them to follow-the-leader!

--Johanna

o

I wonder if there is a minimum size by breed. for instance I have the same question for cochnins and weyondettes

o

I built a 6 compartment nest box(3 top and 3 bottom). My queston is how high should I mount it off the floor?

o

Mine are about 2 1/2 feet off the ground. Chickens can jump quite high, I have seen them jump 6' or more. My hens use the nests on the bottom the most.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here