Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
i lost my duck!

Posted by maryam885 (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 08 at 2:30

hello everyone,
I had 2 muscovy ducks in my backyard (it's a large yard with an inground pool converted to a pond that they liked to swim in) and yesterday afternoon i noticed one of them was gone! i asked all my neighbours thinking it may have jumped over the fence but they have not seen her either..the duck that is remaining seems to have lost some feathers around his neck (but no sign of blood or scratches). I have no idea what happened...muscovies can't fly very far so I don't think she would have gotten that far. Australia doesn't have foxes and my yard is well enclosed so i don't know how a predator could have got in. Has this happened to anyone else/ does anyone have any advice on finding my duck? :(
Maryam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: i lost my duck!

I'm sorry to hear about your duck! I know even rodents can attack them, at least we had a large rat come into the chicken coop one night, I had forgotten to close the door, and I hear this racket, run over to find something had dragged some of my guineas out of where they were and through a wire enclosure. It sounds like a predator to me. :(

o

Sorry to hear its missing. Does your pool still have a filtering system in it? Ya you said its turned into a pond but could the duck swam into it and got itself caught in there?? Best of luck.

S.

o

Hmm a rodent could be possible, I've seen some large rats in my garden before. Though she disappeared at around 11 am when most predators are asleep so i'm not sure. The pool filter has a wire mesh covering it, so I don't think it could have gone in there.
Sigh, I think I have accepted that she's gone. My remaining duck seems ok, still eating and swimming happily. Do you think it's cruel to keep a duck alone with no company? I was thinking of getting another but I'm afraid it will go (unexplainedly) missing again.

o

I would get another duck, as long as they get along with each other, that would be nice, your duck might be lonely.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here