Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
velvet_sparrow

Moving, Taking The Chickens With Us, Any Advice?

velvet_sparrow
12 years ago

We're finally looking at very soon making the move to northern Nevada, out of southern California. Which means that in addition to us and all our junk, we'll be hauling along 30-odd chickens.

The drive is about 8-10 hours. Has anyone moved chickens before, any sage advice?

I plan on providing them veggies (corn on the cob, cabbage, apple, things like that) to nibble on the way to keep them occupied and hydrated, and we plan to make the drive in one day. I also plan on giving them unflavored Pedialyte to drink once we get there to help them over the stress of the move and adjusting to their new digs. They will still be the same flock members, they won't be joining any new birds.

If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it, thanks! :)

Velvet ~:>

Comments (10)

• brendasue
    12 years ago

Velvet I can't think of anything other than perhaps keeping only a few per cage for the ride. If they decide to huddle together because they are frightened they may smother one or another.

Good luck with your move!

Brendasue

• trianglejohn
    12 years ago

I've never moved that many at one time but I blocked their view with cardboard so that all the flashing views out the car windows wouldn't distract them as I sped down the highway. They handled it just fine, acted like they'd gone on road trips everyday.

• tracydr
    12 years ago

I would just use dog crates. They don't need much room. Maybe check a chicken show manual or forum since they trave a lot for space needs.

• velvet_sparrow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for the advice! :)

I expect to have some unhappy, pissy chickens at journey's end that I'll have to schmooz and kiss up to...

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

Wow Velvet, congrats on your new home! I don't have any advice on moving chickens, but do want to wish you lots of luck on your trip and new home. Also, I hope you will still keep your site open to us chicken amateurs :-)

• velvet_sparrow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh yeah, the chicken site isn't going anywhere. :) We're moving to a more rural area with more room for chickens, yay!

• gardengal19
    12 years ago

Velvet - do you have a new home for your chicks too? Being rural means more predators to look out for. I wish you well!

We just had a 10 x 12 shed delivered today so it won't be long before the chicks can be moved from our house to their own house. DH will build the roost and nesting boxes. The shed has 3 windows and a skylight. It is next to some really tall hickory trees ( probably over 100 yrs. old) so it will have shade in the summer. The chicks will have their own fenced in area right next to the shed. I think they will really like their new home.

I took them out to my garden area a few times but, they didn't want to walk around too much. They huddled in the box I had tipped on its side - probably to get out of the sun - which is very intense at this time of year.

The chicks are about 5 weeks old now and the only thing I've fed them - besides the chick feed - is torn up pieces of bread. Today they had a few blueberries. I don't supplement their feed every day - just when the grandkids are here - for a bit of excitement and it is so hilarious! We have one chick -Tina Peanut - that is like the runt of the group and she gets run over by all the others.

How old are your chickens now? How long can you keep them as layers?

Good luck on your new adventure.

-gloia

• gardengal19
    12 years ago

Actually my name is -gloria- but, I think you already knew that.

• velvet_sparrow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We don't have a new place yet, but lots of the ones we're looking at already have chicken coops/runs on site. Whatever we choose, if we need to we'll build a coop/run before we move the chickens. :) LOTS of predators up there, mostly coyotes, that would love a nice chicken dinner!

• tracydr
    12 years ago

Good luck with your move. I've actually moved with large amounts of horses and farm equipment many times while in the military and medical school, plus dogs and cats. One time we moved with 14 horses, 4 dogs, a cat and an entire arena, plus tractor, etc! All the way from OK to Tacoma!
    I always managed to sell the poultry and start over somehow. I can't even imagine moving with chickens, gunieas and peafowls!
    However, with the new hubby, he's already indicated that he doesn't do temporary pets, even what I consider livestock. So I guess we may be moving the chickens in a couple years. I think I'll hold off on getting cattle, peafowl, and gunieas until we get situated. Not that I could keep them on our city lot anyway!

Sponsored
Custom Residential Homes & Full Service Renovations