Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Birds of a feather...

Posted by tasymo zone 5 (kathyholton@cablespeed.com) on
Tue, May 13, 08 at 7:02

Hello Folks!
I am hoping to order my flock next Spring and am having a wonderful time changing my mind over what breeds to buy! I'd like to start out with a dozen Gals. I'm aiming for a happy, well balanced flock. Are there any breeds that do not get along well together? I want to avoid any loners that might get picked on or ignored, so I intend to get at least two of each breed I select. I'm thinking maybe it would be safer to get three Gals each of four breeds in case something happens to one. Am I over thinking this? I live in Michigan where the Winters are cold and snowy, so I'm thinking standard birds rather than banties. Any advice and recommendations? Thanks! Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Birds of a feather...

Kathy, Go to meyer hatchery online and order a chicken catalog. The catalog is informative and has pictures of the different chickens they have for sale. It lists if they are cold weather hardy, what size eggs they lay, color of eggs, if they are a broody breed. The catalog is free and will give you a chance to see the birds.
Hope this helps, Carrie

o

Your plan sounds good. :) Since you get cold winters, I'd suggest breeds with small combs--avoid Leghorns and the like, they can sometimes be susceptible to frostbite on their large combs.

Most breeds get along well together (there is always going to be the occasional squabble), but in my experience sometimes Rhode Island Reds tend to 'pack up' like dogs do when kept in groups, and can be bullies. Wyandottes can be quite dominant, as well.

mypetchicken.com has a fun 'breed selector' widget you might want to try:

http://www.mypetchicken.com/breedQuestions.aspx

Velvet ~:>

o

Thanks for the imput, Carrie and Velvet! I plan on getting my chickens from Mypetchicken, since I can order fewer than 25 from them, and still select exactly what I want. I think I really MUST have some Silver Laced Wyandottes, despite them being dominant. They are just so beautiful!!! We plan on building the coop and run this summer so everything will be ready for my girls when they arrive. I imagine I'll have plenty of questions for you in the meantime. Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here