Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gapeworm

Posted by johanna_h Z5 SW MI (My Page) on
Fri, May 9, 08 at 7:50

I think one of my hens has gapeworms. The information I'm finding on the internet is not helpful so far.

Is there a specific wormer for gapes, and do I need to get it from a veterinarian?

I have to go to work for a while, and I can call my vet later in the day, but I thought someone might be online with the answer!

--Johanna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gapeworm

I've been trying to track down information all day. The local feed stores don't have a wormer that will address gapeworm. A clinic at Michigan State University would be happy to examine the chicken, but that's a two hour drive at least! They also mentioned that if it is gapeworm, then their run is probably infected and they should be off of it for five years!

Someone suggested feeding the chicken tobacco. That sounds like a folk remedy to me, and I suspect that tobacco has a toxic level for hens like it does for others.

I'm really hoping I'll get home from work and the hen will be fine and I'll never know why she was doing the mouth thing this morning!

--Johanna

o

Click on this link to my site, and scroll down to 'Worming & Dusting' to read about Gapeworm, it's symptoms and treatment:

http://jackshenhouse.com/VSChickHealth.htm

Gape is pretty distinctive: birds stretch out their necks and open their mouths as if they have something in their throat (they do, the worms) over and over again. Sometimes they shake their heads as well. Gapeworms are basically roundworms that prefer the trachea area to infest. Most feed stores carry horse paste wormer, which is what I use to treat.

Tobacco is on the 'Toxic To Birds' list, here:

http://www.plannedparrothood.com/plants.html

I wouldn't use it. Likely there is a specific amount you can feed to kill the worms and not the host, but if the bird is already weakened by the parasite, that's taking a chance--and I have no idea how much tobacco might be 'safe', if any. If the bird is already infested, you need to go with the sure-fire cure right away.

Velvet ~:>

o

Well, I appear to have suffered from a moment of hysteria. The hen is fine, no more "yawning"!

Phew!

--Johanna

o

SO far this is the best soap opera episode I have read on this forum yet. Thanks!

o

Critterkeeper, I just posted another one!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here