Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are sneezing chicks sick?

Posted by hollyclyff z7 NC (My Page) on
Mon, May 14, 07 at 7:53

Hi - first time chicken owner here. I bought three two week old chicks on Friday at the feed store. They are acting fine except they are all sneezing occasionally. Is this an early sign of disease or is it just something chickens do sometimes? They don't have any other symptoms that I can see. They're eating and drinking and making happy little chick sounds, but everytime I check on them at least one of them sneezes. This has been going on the whole time I've had them. I have them in a plastic bin with a light above and pine shavings on the bottom. The temp is 87 right now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are sneezing chicks sick?

It might be just due to dust from the shavings...but pick them up and check out their eyes and nares (nostrils) for any kind of discharge. Other signs of illness are gasping or labored breathing, sitting around fluffed up all the time, soiled vent feathers, being lethargic and eating/drinking/poop changes. Observe them for a bit to see.

Enjoy your chicks! :) I have a chicken info site that might help, located here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~velvetsparrow/VSChick.htm

Velvet ~:>

o

Thanks. They have none of those things you listed. Other than sneezing, they appear to be fine. I will keep watching them of course. I hope it's just dust.

o

You might want to take a good sniff of the shavings. The light might be releasing some kind of fumes. Also check for an ammonia a smell.

o

I'm not smelling anything from the shavings at all really. An occasional chicken poo smell if they've done a fresh one, but nothing else. One of them just now sneezed while sitting on my shoulder though. But still, I'm not seeing any discharge or suspicious behavior. Is there anything I should do as a precaution?

o

Watch them like a hawk for signs of illness, weight loss and behaviour changes. Keep them warm and out of drafts to avoid chilling them, and give them lots of tidbits such as live mealworms to keep them as healthy as possible. :) I offer unflavored Pedialyte (get it in the baby aisle at the grocery store) to drink for sick birds, it boosts their electrolytes. You can also give it to your chicks, it helps birds stressed by shipping and/or new surroundings. Can't hurt!

Velvet ~:>

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here