Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eradicating Buttercup

Posted by zootjs zone 5 MA (My Page) on
Thu, May 19, 11 at 7:56

Yay, I just got three alpacas!

Boo, my pasture (call it, about an acre) has a lot of buttercup in it, which is toxic for them.

They are currently grazing in a small area, temporarily, while I get this figured out. Any ideas, beyond manually pulling it? My hesitation there is that there is too much of it and also that it would be likely to grow back.

So, broad-leaf herbicide? Targeted use of Roundup? What's likely to be least dangerous to the animals and most effective at getting rid of it? Specific recommendations and practices would be very welcome.

--Jonathan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eradicating Buttercup

Buttercup is evil! LOL! Is it toxic or does it give them blisters in their mouth if they eat it? That's what it does to my donkeys, and they know to avoid it.

Buttercup has roots that trail underground, so pulling it doesn't relly work.

Congrats on your new alpacas!

o

I beleive it can be toxic.

I have an acre or so pasture that has it. I've tried the round up but it didn't erradicate it, I never could get them all!

What about solarizing it? Is it in the sun or shade? Lay down black plastic for several weeks?

I never did get rid of mine. The animals just don't eat it, but it would be nice to replace the buttercup with something edible, KWIM?
Please post back with what you end up doing to get rid of it!
Brendasue

o

I have had lots of buttercup over the years and thru experience goats and/or geese will eat them and keep them gone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here