Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My eggs are hatching got questions HELP

Posted by goatster 7bGa (My Page) on
Wed, May 7, 08 at 8:20

They are hatching one day early but appear to be fine. HOw long can they stay in the incubator before needing food and water? I have 3 out now and one coming out, I have an appt today I can't miss so I need to know if they will be ok in the bator for about 4 hours while I am out.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My eggs are hatching got questions HELP

Don't worry, chicks can be without food or water up to 3 days, but make sure they are warm (heat lamp or light bulb if you don't have a heat lamp) with a light shield will keep them warm.
They should be ok in the incubator as long as you have removed the plugs so they have enough air. :)

o

^^ What mersiepoo said. They'll be OK. :) Wait until they are thoroughly dried out and fluffy before removing them to the brooder box. Meanwhile they'll charge around in the incubator and trip over the other hatching eggs, which I think helps stimulate the other chicks to hatch! Looks awful, though. :)

Congrats on the chicks!

Velvet ~:>

o

thanks to you both. I am really excited. I have about 10 now and they all look perfect even though at times I would catch the temp up to 103-105. I was afraid I wouldn't get any. Not knowing how long the temp was up that high

o

mine started coming out early too according to my calendar guess my hen was using a different calander S

o

Mine aren't due until the 24th. I want cute fluffy chicks NOW, darn it! :)

How many did you end up with?

o

I got 13 and I am happy with them all. They are all fine. One had twisted toes but can walk with no problems. They all seem spunky and healthy. I had 19 eggs total after candling them and got this many so I am pretty happy with the hatch. I may try another batch soon. How long do they have to stay under a lamp isn't it until they get their wing and tail feathers?

o

Yes, keep them under the heat lamp for a few weeks. Once they feather out fully, as long as the temps are warm you can start moving the heat source a bit farther away every few days until they are old enough to be fine without it.

You can put the chick with the twisted toes in a chick splint:

http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/1/

That's a page on a peacock site, but the splint is the same. New chicks are very rubbery and take to the splints well, after a week or so you can take it off and no more twisted toes, in most cases. The trick is to get it on right away.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here