Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my hens have worms!

Posted by beeliz 2 (My Page) on
Fri, May 2, 08 at 8:29

Yesturday I had my hens dewormed because first,,they were due,and second I found a couple roundworms in their poop! I've never seen them in their poop before,,really gross. Now that they were dewormed,,will they be ok? And can we get these worms too? Is it a bad sign that they had worms? Is their area contaminated now?? I can't change the place they stay in the yard...HELP!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my hens have worms!

We use food grade Diatomaceous Earth in their feed and sprinkle it on their bedding and in their nest boxes. Also have piles of it in the hen house for dust bathing. Our cats get it also. Have never had a problem with worms in any of our animals.

o
RE: my hens have worms!

Good for you for taking action right away and worming them. :) You know, if your hens free range and the area they are in can also be visited by roaming cats or wild birds, you can never really be free of the chance of a parasite infestation. Once it's in the dirt, there isn't a whole lot you can do about it--earthworms can carry certain worms, too. Technically, yes, you can get roundworms--but chances are, unless your birds are infested and sharing filthy living quarters with you, you won't.

Keep your birds healthy and happy, so they can naturally resist parasites, and treat for parasites as needed.

And yeah, finding the worms in their poop is darned disgusting. :( Once you worm them, you should see DEAD (paralyzed, actually) worms in their poop. Don't forget to worm again in 3 weeks to catch the hatching worms, before THEY can lay eggs and reproduce. Seeing the worms or mites always gives me the heebie-jeebies.

I always worm and spray for mites at the same time. I go over the coop, roosts and nests with my hand-held steamer, then spray everything (including the birds) with the Adams Flea & Tick Mist with IGR. I figure if I'm getting my chickens peeved at me, I may as well do it right. :) Here's my method:

http://jackshenhouse.com/VSChickHealth.htm

http://jackshenhouse.com/VSChickCoop.htm

Velvet ~:>

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here