Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meadow_lark

Need hints on installing field (wire mesh) fencing please...

meadow_lark
17 years ago

Hubby and I just had an old in-ground pool removed. We have to wait a few weeks for the ground to settle, before we can sod/seed and install the remainder of the chain-link fence. Part of the yard is already chain-linked.

On Saturday, we will be installing some field fencing using T-posts, as a temporary fix so that we can let out dogs out. They are indoor dogs - and only go out when I am out there... They are not left out. They ARE 110 pounds each (St. Bernard/Boxer mix).

We are purcashing the large T-posts at HD tomorrow, along with the fencing and ties. We have a pretty good idea on what to expect, but I thought someone might have some good suggestions.

No gates will be involved. The T-posts will be sunk into the existing sod, and not into the new fill dirt.

I'm not sure about the best way to bring the edge of the chain-link fence together with the field fence. Also - hubby says that it won't matter if the wire fence is "loose". I think it will be a problem, and I have told him I think we need to buy a tool to "cinch it up" properly. Any comments on this and anything else would be VERY MUCH appreciated.

Thanks so much... Meadow Lark / Huntsville, Alabama

Comments (3)

• shellybabe
    17 years ago

as a fello wife whose hubby said "no problem" it is work.
    do you have a T post driver? If not get one it makes driving the posts MUCH easier. As far as joining it with the other fence, we used hog rings to join the fences together, they are C shaped and when clamped down they are a triangle. Handy for joining fences.
    Now for being tight, I was the one at the pulling end, and I pulled it tight while he fastened it to the T posts.
    Is the land you are putting this on level?
    If not, DO NOT try to pull it uphill, we did this mistake and boy is the fence sloppy looking now, I wish to goodness we had done it differently. The downhill side is nice and neat though, it is just plain hard to pull something straight and pull it uphill too.
    Anyway, lots of luck and hope it turns out ok.

• goodhors
    17 years ago

Get a block and tackle to pull the fence wire tight with a piece of pipe run thru the fence wire, top to bottom, as the pulling point. One end of block and tackle at wire, other end on corner post, tree, truck hitch, something solid to pull against. You really can't pull the wire plain, by hand and expect to get any tension. If you do get some tension, who will fasten wire to posts? Tools are your good friend when fencing.

If you can't manage to really get wire mesh tight top and bottom, perhaps a small electric fence charger run inside fence line, to keep dogs off the wire. A large dog jumping up, could easily push loose or flimsy mesh over and escape. Excited dogs are nothing to have enclosed in sloppy fence. Nice fence is real work, hard and time consuming. Sometimes closer together posts if ground is uneven, work better. Easier to clip fence into place, move to next area of pull.

Block and tackle will be helpful with your chain link fence as well, when you put it back up. You may already know this, but unweaving the last piece of wire on roll, will allow you to use that wire piece to weave the two chain link fence rolls together in seamless connection.

The post driver mentioned is a good idea, fast way to set T-posts. Safer than a sledge hammer, can use standing on the ground, don't have to be above post for swing. Have enough wire clips on hand to attach wire to posts securely. Use a real fence tool or correct pliers to twist on wire clips. All pliers are not created equal when putting up fence. A shovel under the plate of T-post in the ground, push long handle down, will jack the post straight up, when you want to remove it. Much easier than trying to dig them out or pull them straight up, unless you have a machine like a bobcat to pull with. T-post are easier to reuse or sell if straight.

• meadow_lark
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I got home from work on Friday, and hubby had "surprised" me by putting in all of the T-posts by himself! He bought really strong mesh (each box is about 2" x 4 "). We had the whole thing up by 6:30!

Our dogs are very good. They respect boundries, and have yet to bump against the fence. I just wish they weren't awful when it comes to people and any animals!

NOW - we just need to figure out what to do with the huge red clay rectangle that takes up a 1/4 of the back yard!

Thank you Shellybabe and Goodhors for your replies to my post. I was very nervous about doing it correctly, and in a way that would make it stay up.

Meadow Lark