Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sullicorbitt

Found a stockpile of eggs!

sullicorbitt
15 years ago

The other day I found a huge stockpile of eggs (more than a dozen) on the loft in the coop. They are all the exact same color so they are from the same hen. Oddly enough I've never had this happen before, I'm wondering if we should chuck the eggs since no one is sitting on them or even broody or if the sockpiling hen will eventually sit on them?

Any thoughts?

-Sheila

Comments (9)

• johanna_h
    15 years ago

Sheila---

I've had this happen twice. I just took the eggs away, but chose not to use them in the kitchen since the first time it happened there were 35 eggs! You just know some of them were really old!!!

I don't think the hen is collecting that many to sit. She's just trying to keep herself a bit more private from the other chickens.

--Johanna

• sullicorbitt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Johanna, I will do the same, I had no intention of eating any of the eggs but my dh might fry some up for the dogs. If not we'll just chuck them.

-Sheila

• backlanelady
    15 years ago

If you aren't going to use the eggs you might want to leave them where you found them just in case she decides to brood them. Mark the ones that are already there so you know which ones are fresh and can collect them for eating.
    It's possible that you have two hens laying in the same place, so that is why there are so many.
    If not, I'm sure the dogs will love them!

• carmen_grower_2007
    15 years ago

I had that happen a few times and always just boiled them, crushed them (shell and all) and fed them to the chickens.

• claraserena
    15 years ago

As for what to do with the eggs IÂd cook them and give them to the chickens.
    I too have a pile (15) of eggs behind the compost bins. Every day the same hen sits on them but not all eggs are hers. Last night she was still on the eggs at 11pm, not a safe place, so we slid a cookie sheet under the nest, eggs, and her and set them in a large litter box and brought the whole thing in the garage. This morning she was on them but when other chickens came in she got off. So I've return the litter box, eggs and nest to the original location. Since this collection has been building for 2+ weeks, some nights below freezing,I wonder about the viability of the eggs. Just checked and sheÂs back on the nest.
    Since this collection has been building for 2+weks I wonder about the viability of th eggs--it ha been below freezing a couple ofnights.

• mersiepoo
    15 years ago

Just float the eggs in water. If they float, throw them out. If they don't float up at all, they are ok.

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

are you sure they are not snake eggs?

• sullicorbitt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL! that's funny!

Actually my Marans hen is now sitting on a bunch in that same spot, I didn't have the heart to move her so we'll wait and see how she does.

Sheila

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

what a shock that would be if she incubated a brood of snakes. LMAO!!

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company