Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amiz5904

do guineas ever shut up????

amiz5904
18 years ago

I had gotten 2 guineas (male and female) in October. They were rather loud at first and then seemed to calm down considerably. My guinea hen died in February and about 6 weeks ago I got 2 more guineas to keep my guinea cock company. Now that I have 3 they are non-stop all day long. And I mean all day long. I think my neighbors are going to kill me although no one has said anything....yet! Am I in for a non-stop noise fest from here to eternity or will they ever quiet down and not alarm about every leaf that lands on the ground? Help!

Comments (42)

• sparrowgrass1
    18 years ago

People say that guineas are good watchdogs, because they sound an alert every time they see something new in their territory. The problem is, they are so dumb that every time they blink their eyes, they forget whatever they saw, so every time they open their eyes, everything is new and they sound an alert. And it goes on all day, every day.

They do taste good.

• breezyb
    18 years ago

Lol - I feel for you. A few local farms (luckily not right next door to me) have them around here & I am so glad I had a chance to hear them before getting any myself. While I find them fascinating, I don't think I could stand the constant screaming (& wouldn't want to inflict it on my neighbors either).

• backlanelady
    18 years ago

"Am I in for a non-stop noise fest from here to eternity"
    My answer is yes. Lol sorry. I had 8 at one time. And they were so loud inside of the barn at night that my husband and I had to leave the barn to be able to talk to each other. I cut back to two and will never replace them once they are gone.
    Carrie

• Siamese
    18 years ago

Young guineas (under one year old) are noiser than adult guineas. Guineas that sleep in trees instead of a coop are also noiser. Female guineas are usually the most noisy, chattering all day long. I don't think free-ranging guineas are too noisy. I miss the sound when I go in vacation!

• chick_mom
    18 years ago

I have two males and one female.. They are all about a year old and are now calming down.. I bought them because of their watchdog rep... never again! How anything could be that stupid and survive in the wild is beyond me. Mine will fly over a yard fence and then run up and down the fence for 30 to 40 minutes trying to figure out how to return.. I have had two of them since they were day old chicks and they still act as though I am the head predator in their world.. Mine are much quieter this month than ever before.. There is hope for you.. Please note the previous comments on what good soup birds they make.. Kit

• cheribelle
    18 years ago

I love them, yes the noise and all. I have about 40. All colors. The free rangers are not that bad, they run all over the place and are very funny to watch, but the ones in the barn/ pen can raise the roof.

• amiz5904
    Original Author
    18 years ago

well, it sounds like it's unanimous - noise forever!! They are free-ranging (cooped at night) but the noise festivities tend to be worse in the mornings. I am in the process of incubating about a dozen guinea eggs and I'm thinking that maybe placing them elsewhere might be a better idea. I can only assume that the larger the flock the more likely they are to make noise. I had been warned about the noise, but what with 7 roosters, I thought, hmmmm, it couldn't be that bad. HA! it's way worse!

• CrisH
    18 years ago

I had a small group of them for about two months then moved them on down the road. It sounded like 6 car alarms going off at my place ..all day. They would fly up on the roof of the house and the noise would ring thru the house because they would sit near the exhaust fans so the noise came right in the house. Those birds had a lot to say all the time! My poor hubby still cant stand the sight or sound of Guineas.

• breezyb
    18 years ago

For those of you who like the look of guineas but don't want the live birds, believe it or not there is a specialty store in Middleburg, VA, that sells large ceramic statuettes of Guineas (as well as regular chicken hens). They're pricey, but darn cute. If I ever get my "fixer upper" farmhouse into some semblance of decency, I'm thinking of picking up a couple.

• fleatx
    18 years ago

We have a group of "neighborhood" guineas. We live in the country so there are only 4 neighbors and we are all spread out. The guineas have a schedule and spend there time on different farms at different times of the day. Our place has a great dust bath area which my donkey reluctantly shares, mostly because the guineas are too dumb to run when she tries to chase them away, which really confuses her. Yes, they are always making a fuss over something or just conversing among themselves, but it's just another sound that belongs here. Besides, they are great at picking the bugs out of the grill of the car and off of the license plates! They aren't any louder than the frogs are at night around here and I know that I couldn't sleep without that sound.

• anniew
    18 years ago

My guineas are particularly loud about dusk, and at this time of year I notice that they and the geese are very loud...think it has to do with breeding season. Other than spring, they are pretty quiet except for those little noises which are more like quiet chatter, unlike the alarm sound. The quiet noise is rather comforting, like old friends reminiscing.
    But, I must admit, sometimes they drive me nuts when they are at it for a couple hours and I am working outside. Usually I just ignore it, but after awhile that gets hard to do. I have 9 altogether. 6 of them (mixed males and females) are cooped at night with ducks, geese and chickens. The other three have their own little coop which they go into on their own most evenings. I know it is the same three because they are three white ones, and the others are 4 pearl, one is gray/lavender and one is pied (pearl and white).
    Bottom line: few mosquitoes/gnats around here...Ann

• ladybug1
    18 years ago

My neighbors had some for awhile that would sneak over here and visit in the woods by the house. They about drove me bonkers with their constant racket. I think they were around for several years. I suspect they might have become dinner for someone. I know some others became hood ornaments because they thought the road was there for them. They might be great for eating bugs, but I think I would rather invest in purple martin houses. There have to be other ways to keep down the bug population.

• Siamese
    18 years ago

breezyb.... does that store that sells guinea statues have a website? how big are they? how much do the cost? thanks :)

• breezyb
    18 years ago

Sorry - I can't recall the name of it & can't find it on the Middleburg VA town website. Next time I'm over that way I'll stop in & find out.

• basilmom
    18 years ago

We went from 12 mixed, to 2 (males) and now they really are only loud when a stranger comes around. But sometimes if I wear a differnt coat or hat out in the barn they start in...I can yell at them to "shut up!" and they usually do. Yesterday I had a pony in the barn as I was braiding her mane...and they started in. I had so idea what the problem was, but it was unusual for them to start when it's just me. Maybe they didn't recognize the pony with her new look :)

• chickenmama1
    18 years ago

This is hilarious! I know how you feel. I don't have any guineas, but I do know from the neighbors experience with them that NO they do not ever shut up! LOL The thing is, they absolutely fascinate me so I don't complain.
    Maggie chickenmama1

• cheribelle
    18 years ago

My neighbor, 1/4 mile north, was in the Gas staion/convenience store/diner where I work the other day, asked me what on earth is making that wierd noise at your place? He says he can hear the peacocks all the way over there, and the noise bothers him. He said Haven't you heard of the noise ordinances? (Yeah Right) We'd better shoot them and have a peacock Fry. I said, Yeah we'll have it the same night as (insert a bit of attitude here)
    Your Show Hog Fry :0)
    He has a sow that he paid $1200 for as a gilt. He artificially inseminates, then sells the baby fancy show pigs all over the country. He has people that come from Arkansas and all over for these pigs, so I really don't think we'll be eating any of them, any time soon :0)
    Stupid Prize pig was in the hiway 2 years ago, we stopped and put it in, or his show pig business would have been over before it started. Didn't take him long to forget he owes me one.

• ceresone
    18 years ago

Guess either i'm different--or the guineas are. few years back we had guineas, my hubby hated guineas, but daughter put them in with chicks as a joke. eventually, he decided he liked them, we could walk among them, and they only chattered lightly-like the chickens. and--the neighbors live quarter of a mile away, i love to see theirs range over our fields, eating ticks, thus keeping them off the horses.
    so--when i got chicks again, and was advised to get guineas to help protect them, i jumped at it! you would never know they were with the chickens, as they dont say a word! (5) ever since the baby banties told the baby guinea to quit talking that foreign language, and they'd accept him--lol--he's not said anything since but cheep-cheep!!

• judyag_44
    18 years ago

LOL, just have to tell you that we have five free range guineas that roost in an ancient cedar tree outside the dining room window. Yes, they are noisy at times.....sometimes they awaken during the night and enjoy a lively "conversation" among themselves but we love them dearly.

They are busy morning to evening. At times walking five abreast across the yard and fields close to the house. They remind me of nothing so much as a group of little "helmets" gone awry. The tick population has dropped dramatically. They have walked over every roof on the place including the house (which is two stories high).

Occasionally one infuriates another and the race is on all around the place. We watched in glee one day as two ran, one after the other, around the house six times....finally the first one caught and pecked the one if front and the race continued ....but in reverse with the one doing the chasing becoming the one being chased!

We raised them in our utility room and they are extremely tame as a result. When we have a conversation with friends in the yard they busily peck at our shoe strings and are very expert at untying even double knots.

Now am raising twelve royal purple babies. Am hoping that they will join the others and provide us with more tick protection, alerts and entertainment. WOULD NOT GIVE THEM UP FOR THE WORLD. 8)

• Siamese
    18 years ago

If anyone here needs some of these noisy little tick-eaters, I have a bunch of keets right now needing new homes.

• witsend22
    18 years ago

best thing about them is they love ticks
    especially deer ticks

• Siamese
    18 years ago

That's why I got mine. My farm used to be tick-infested. Now I have so much peace of mind walking anywhere on my farm--thanks to the guineas!

• efine50
    18 years ago

I have guineas and mine are only noisy when there's something around to scare or irritate them or if they've found an incredibly juicy yellow jacket nest..lol. I've only found one tick in 6 years...love it!

• southerngardengal
    18 years ago

I want to get a couple of guineas but DH doesn't want any because of the noise. I was also wondering if they scratch up the plants in the gardens?

If I can convince DH that they will be useful, I may be able to talk him into a couple. Let me see, !. they eat ticks. (what about deer and horse flies?) 2. They make good security systems 3. They are edible 4. They chatter a lot so it is easy to keep up with them.

We have an anniversary coming up and I would much rather have some type of animal than a dozen roses. Hummmmmmmmm...think I have it figured out. LOL

• brendan_of_bonsai
    18 years ago

Can they be debarked like dogs perhaps, Maybe you could get a dozen and debark all but say three and have a quiet yet social bunch.

• ladybug1
    18 years ago

Would they be frustrated if they were "debarked"? How would they communicate with each other?? (Smile)

If I could get some quiet ones to eat the bugs I would love to have some. I have lots and lots of bugs of all sorts. Just can't handle the noise. Will they eat the garden produce?

• Siamese
    18 years ago

Mine don't bother my garden. some say they've had their guineas nibble on the small plants. and of course if you feed them veggies as treats, they may feed on your garden too. I havent had to use insecticides on my garden--the guineas help out w/ japanese beetles too. I just wish they could reach the j.b.s on the apple trees!

I don't think guinea noise is that bad at all. Young guineas are loud, but after that its not too bad. Maybe it is if you have small acreage? (less than 5 acres) This time of year I have my windows closed and cant hear my guineas at all. I can hear the chicken roosters though.

• ladybug1
    18 years ago

I just remember how loud and noisy the neighbor's guineas used to be. I am a light sleeper and hear everything. I feel quite certain that if I got some and they were noisy they would find all sorts of things to check out right under my bedroom window. Maybe you do get used to it after awhile.

• amiz5904
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have to say that since I originally posted this thread my guineas have calmed down considerably. Go figure. Of course I have a new crop right now. They are about 8 weeks old and I made the mistake of letting them out of the coop today. Spent the last hour trying to round them up. They were sitting on the ground on the other side of the fence by the creek just waiting for the raccoon to eat them. Needless to say they will be penned up again starting tomorrow. How long before I can try letting them out again?

• Siamese
    18 years ago

Try locking them up for another couple of weeks. Do you have some kind of treat they love? (cracked corn, millet, etc) Let them out for a little while, maybe an hour or so, then put their favorite treat in their coop and use 2 big sticks and round them back up into their coop. Gradually increase the amount of time they go out. Remember guineas are still wild animals, and require a lot of training to return to the coop. It will be hard for the first couple of weeks, but eventually they should come running when they see you with their treat and should eventually return to their coop at night on their own. Good luck!

• leannepa
    18 years ago

he hee, got rid of all of mine. hee hee, slapping my knees and chuckling, been there, did that. And to think some folks think the peafowl are noisey. Ha. hmm, stew pot or new home and the peace WILL be restored, promise. still chuckling...

• undercover_owl
    18 years ago

southerngardengal: the keets look a lot like chicks, so I hear. If you buy baby chicks, you might put a few keets in the mix with chicks, and once they get older, blame it on an employee error? (sorry if my suggestion of white-lying to DH seems too wrong, but, he might grow to love them.)

What do guineas sound like? Turkeys?
    They look like weird turkeys.

• ceresone
    18 years ago

undercoverowl--it worked here! years ago, my daughter sneaked in baby guineas with my chicks--as a result, hubby really like my guineas now--

• leannepa
    18 years ago

What do they sound like?
    BUCK WHEAT BUCK WHEEAAT BUCK WHEEATThe cocks? sound something like eerrr errrr errr high pitch squeel sound . truly abrasive to the ears, on and on for no apparent reason at about 1000-120 decibles. Yes you MUST leave the building to speak or hear over it.
    Don't miss em a bit. he he he.

• Karen_sl
    18 years ago

Ha Ha, they are noisy forever. Although after a while you don't here them anymore.
    We had peacocks and I swear we never heard them but the neighbor lady (a mile away) complained all the time. They were in back of the house in a pen and our room is on the front...
    Karen L
    I remember getting my FIL a pair for Christmas one year cause he wanted them...and then he gave them away due to the noise!!

• undercover_owl
    18 years ago

leannepa: I laughed so hard at your description of their "noise"! I can imagine it...thanks.

If I get adult guineas, will they stick around? Or do I have to raise them from babies in order to make them feel "at home"?

• dighappy
    18 years ago

We got two guineas by accident when our neighbor was given 2 adult guineas by his uncle, instead of keeping them penned as his uncle advised he immediately let them loose and they immediately trooped over to our place and stayed (after several attempts to return them). We just recently lost the last one after having her ten years. They used to drive me nuts sometimes with their singing from any high perch (like the bbq grill or hose reel) but now that they are gone I really miss their antics. DH is dead set against getting any more so I can only hope that our neighbor decides to get a few more that also decide to defect.

• Cena
    18 years ago

Not all are created equal.

I visit my moms farm infrequently. I have stayed and maintained the farm, single handed city girl style, and dealt with Guineas each time.

The first batch were noisy when spooked, but reasonable and talkative in that under-tow background noise sort of way...

The batch she had this year? I would have butchered so fast! Man that bunch was screechy loud ALL the time. She tells me they were worse while free-range. That they are much quieter now!!

Sheesh.
    Thanks for giving me a giggle, and allowing me to drag up old news. Back to the peanut gallery.

• Siamese
    18 years ago

Usually the noisiest time for guineas are those teenage months!

• marquisella
    18 years ago

I bought adults guineas twice. The first time, I kept them locked up for 2 weeks, let them out, and they walked away.
    The second time, I bought them in time for egg laying, kept them locked up, put the eggs under a chicken, and she hatched out 13 keets. The adults guineas were let loose, and left again.

The babies took a couple of days to understand that the chicken was their mother, and when they grew up, they stuck around. after 6 months, I had had it with the noise, and took them to the auction...no more!

• amiz5904
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Actually have not had a problem with adult guineas leaving -I think it's because I've always had other adults that call the coop home. If I bring home adults, I usually only leave them locked up for a day or two and then let them go. They always "flock up" with the other guineas and there don't seem to be a problem after that. Now the keets are never that easy - it always takes me forever to get them trained to coop up at night, and sometimes a predator gets them before I do.

• telly2
    18 years ago

I've had several flocks of guineas over the years, and I too love them enough to put up with the loud noises they can make....my experience is that they calm down greatly when they get out of their teenage time. In fact, my last adult guineas hardly ever said anything unless something startled them. And how I loved their bug-eating ways ! My 2 hounds never,ever had ticks, nor did I see those huge, ugly lubber grasshoppers in my flowers.
    I also learned never to buy adult guineas if I wanted them to stay around (all my flocks have been free range).
    I wish I lived near someone who wanted to give away the fresh eggs or keets ! Would love to have some guineas again.