Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OK to move a broody goose nest?

Posted by critterkeeper (My Page) on
Mon, May 19, 08 at 9:37

I have a second broody goose who has made her nest in the chicken coop. So far there are four eggs in her nest. The chickens don't seem to be bothering her yet but I suspect they will once she starts setting. Is it OK to move her and the eggs or wait until she starts to set and make the chickens move? They have another smaller shed available if necessary. I have found them in it when the wind blew the door to their coop closed during a storm. The other goose is in seperate quarters with her clutch due to hatch at the end of the week.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OK to move a broody goose nest?

You might not be too successful moving the goose but I cant see the chickens being much bother to it. If you disturb her nest she may abandon it and lay in a new location more or less to your liking.

o

Thanks, I'll leave her there and let nature take its course.

o

Yeah, she will probably do what fancifowl says. I discovered a guinea nest awhile back (outside) and was keeping an eye on it. Today I noticed 4 egg shells where a predator was eating the eggs, so I took the remaining ones away and put them in another nest that is close to the dog. Hopefully the guineas at that one will keep laying eggs in it and someone will go broody on it! Birds can be so un-coop-erative sometimes....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here