Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengal19

Ideas for a coop

gardengal19
12 years ago

Living in zone 5 - I would think we need a coop to withstand temps down to below zero in the winter.

DH would like to build it. He is very handy and built my greenhouse with all the benches and a potters area. Installed electricity in there too.

So, now he needs ideas for a house type coop. There are coons in the area. He has been reading many books from the library and is thoroughly confused. I guess what he would like to know is -- what type of coop do you think would be best?

- or websites for plans only - not the kits

Thank you for any info you may give.

- gloria

Comments (4)

• brendasue
    12 years ago

Hi Gloria,

Our chicken coop has a concrete floor, 4 walls, roof, and windows. It is a part of one of our main barns and has been there for 40+ years. We have no issues with predators whatsoever, and we do not heat it in winter (zone 6-b). We do have to haul water for a few weeks in the winter but it mostly stays ice-free.

Our windows can be opened, and are wired so nothing can get in. The door has both a solid door and a hard-wired one for the various seasons. We DO NOT use the chicken wire as the guage size available here is useless against predators. We use hard wire cloth 1/2x1/2. The poured floor is a major benefit to keeping digging animals out. If you can't pour a floor might I recommend using blocks or at a minimum wiring your floor.

On the other end of the spectrum our ducks free-range. They have livestock guardian dogs for protection & we've never lost one to a predator yet. Good fencing is needed for LGD's.
    The best recommendations I can give are 1. Make it big enough so you can walk inside to clean it. 2. Make sure you have good ventilation & utilize daylight, 3. Don't cut corners build it to last, and 4. Build it with foresight in that you may be expanding it, using it for other species or even storage in 5 years.

Brendasue

• gardengal19
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Brendasue - Thank you for the useful info - especially the concrete floor and to keep in mind 'future use' for storage. I don't know how long this new adventure will last but, we'd like to do it the best we can.

DH has the tendency to over-build so I'm sure the coop he builds will be quite solid with clerestory windows at the top. The hard wired door you mention - is that used for ventilation during the day and warm summer nights? -or do you close both doors at night?

I know he intends to build a run but, I also have a fenced in garden area the chicks can wander about in -if they don't tear up the tomato plants.
    Guess I'll find out soon enough.

The chicks are doing fine for now - in our house but, DH is running out of time. So I'm sure he'll be going to the lumber yard this week.

-gloria

• johnson742
    9 years ago

The Chicken Coop Starter Kit provides everything needed to care for small animals. It is self-contained to
    safely house two or three hens, rabbits, or guinea pigs. This fine wire mesh coop has a nest box to provide
    protection for animals and eggs. It is crafted from solid, finished Douglas fir with a waterproof composite
    roof and a nest box lift lid. The lids lift on the coop and nest box to allow easy access. A removable drop
    pan makes for easy cleanup. The starter kit is perfect for a small space.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ranchsupply

This post was edited by johnson742 on Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 5:36

• Flagman
    9 years ago

Goto www.backyardchickens.com
    There you will find many ideas and help for building a coop.

Here is a link that might be useful: Backyardschickens.com

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus