Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my new baby pygmy!

Posted by beeliz 2 (My Page) on
Fri, May 30, 08 at 10:10

I am going to get a new baby pygmy goat this afternoon! female,adorable,,,is there a special way to introduce a newcomer to my 2 1 year olds,they're both female. Thanks :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my new baby pygmy!

When I worked in a petting zoo, we would try to bring them together while we were there to referree.. If there was any hostility try to pen them side by side.. Goats usually don't have issues.. How old is the baby???? Is it another female or a male?

o

The baby is a female,like my other 2. I've been keeping the newbie inside a house inside their goat house so they are together but unable to touch or anything. when I go to let her out to run and play with the others,they kind of gang up a bit and butt her..will they settle this? I'm afraid of the new one getting hurt so I'm keeping her separated till things settle a little more. any more advice would be great!

o

oh thank goodness you decided on the Pygmy rather than the pig. LOL/

GOOD CHOICE.

Make sure you do not pay more attention to the new goat when the others can see. you know goats are jealous and you must always recognize the herd queen first even if there is a new kid on the block.

o

Haha,,yes,I'm glad we didn't get the pig too..goats are awsome!
I let them play when I'm there with them,,it goes well at first then turns a little more aggressive. then I put the newbie back into her "space". I will make sure to give the boss her attention before the baby! Thanks

o

ok...now they chase her around,,and sometimes really but at her. Is this normal behaviour? Can they hurt her,or do goats do this when they meet? I'm tempted to bring her back to where I got her. Will things settle down ?? I'm worried :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here