Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babalubird

Texas Rabbit Raisers, I need advice

babalubird
15 years ago

Hi. I see lots of stuff on chickens here but not much on raising rabbits for profit.

I have experience raising rabbits for pet trade, but in this economy and looking at larger production for farm income, I'm now (reluctantly) looking at raising them for meat market.

Problem here in Texas is finding a rabbit processor to sell to or whatever means Texas rabbit raisers make money.

Any advice out there? Is anyone raising and selling rabbits successfully in this die-hard cattle country?

The only pick-up in Texas for Pel-Freez is in McKinney (I think). That's way too far away for us to meet the pick-up truck to turn a profit w/diesel or gas prices.

We are 110 miles from Dallas, 75 miles or better from Fort Worth, the two largest metro areas. So don't think I could swing the pet trade again w/cost of delivery (diesel prices). So I'm thinking I've got to sell in bulk either to a processor or research center. Our farm is in the middle of a triangle of Corsicana, Hillsboro and Waco.

Or is this just a bad idea all the way around in Texas if you're trying to make money instead of just lose it?

Thanks.

Connie

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations