Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Texas Rabbit Raisers, I need advice

Posted by babalubird (My Page) on
Tue, May 27, 08 at 10:53

Hi. I see lots of stuff on chickens here but not much on raising rabbits for profit.

I have experience raising rabbits for pet trade, but in this economy and looking at larger production for farm income, I'm now (reluctantly) looking at raising them for meat market.

Problem here in Texas is finding a rabbit processor to sell to or whatever means Texas rabbit raisers make money.

Any advice out there? Is anyone raising and selling rabbits successfully in this die-hard cattle country?

The only pick-up in Texas for Pel-Freez is in McKinney (I think). That's way too far away for us to meet the pick-up truck to turn a profit w/diesel or gas prices.

We are 110 miles from Dallas, 75 miles or better from Fort Worth, the two largest metro areas. So don't think I could swing the pet trade again w/cost of delivery (diesel prices). So I'm thinking I've got to sell in bulk either to a processor or research center. Our farm is in the middle of a triangle of Corsicana, Hillsboro and Waco.

Or is this just a bad idea all the way around in Texas if you're trying to make money instead of just lose it?

Thanks.

Connie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Texas Rabbit Raisers, I need advice

Lab rabbits have some critical production criteria and is not for the average joe with some rabbits. To produce for a market, with profit in mind, about 200 holes would be required. Our best market here is for pet food, about $1.50 per pound live wt. with good demand and not a good supply.

To make a profit, quality rabbits must be used, not just sale barn bunnies bred to any ol buck, but quality New Aealands or Cals would be the best. I would consider something else if a profit is the goal. Veggies provide a good return for the investment.

o

Fancifowl, $1.50 per live weight pound would be fantastic. I finally located a so-called "processor" in Texas that pays .85-$1.00/pound, but that's for killed and butchered per their specs. I called them this morning. They promised to call back and give me details in about 30-45 minutes. It's now 5:30 p.m. and no word. Not a good indication of reliability.

Do you mind sharing info on what petfood processor pays $1.50 either here or by private email if you prefer?

funmailforconnie@yahoo.com

I'm hoping they'll have a local branch here.

I would not mind eventually growing to 200 holes if that's what it takes. The rabbits will work in conjunction with a worm biz we have already started, providing valuable manure,and a vegetable garden business, but they must pay for themselves and still turn a little profit. No room for freeloaders in our game plan.

Thanks.

Connie

o

I raise Californian Rabbits and put them in Rodeos and stock shows as breeder Rabbits and Meat pens. When you put them in Rodeos and fairs you can get a lot of money.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here