Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Duckling waterer

Posted by johanna_h Z5 SW MI (My Page) on
Thu, May 7, 09 at 10:56

(Thought I posted earlier, so if it turns up twice, sorry!)

I am looking for ideas / photos of ways to keep the ducklings from absolutely soaking their bedding. I thought maybe some kind of platform with wire so the waterer would be on top, ducks and chicks could stand on it, but the splashes would be contained underneath.

I don't want to reinvent the wheel -- anyone have a good working solution?

Thanks.
Johanna

Here is a link that might be useful: Busy Solitude Farm (where my ducklings live!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Duckling waterer

We did something similar with our last batch of ducklings, but we used an open pan for the water. Worked OK, still had some mess but not as bad. Those ducks need to clean their bills out. I would suggest also something secured over the water itself(is it open or a store-bought waterer?), also, as the chicks can drown in an open-waterer if they're young. Whatever you put over the top remember the chicks will be jumping on it & dirtying the water.

You're on the right track with the wire.
Brendasue

o

Brendasue--

Thanks, I'll be at the hardware store later today picking up supplies!

--Johanna

o

Well, I've taken an intermediate step. I put a large cookie sheet with sides on it under the waterer. Helps to keep the rest of the area drier by containing the water, but holy cow, they sure spill the water. So for the time being they have to walk through the spilled waterer to get to the container. I'm working on a way to put screening over the cookie sheet so the chicks don't have to get wet to take a drink. More to come!

--Johanna

o

I am keeping two containers for my ducklings. I add straw for bedding and when that is soaked(end of EACH DAY) I empty it into the garden cart hose it out and set to dry use the other container add clean straw for bedding til next day do the same. The dirty straw goes into the compost heap,the compost in the garden.

o

If you have chicks and ducks in the same brooder/grower it's a REALLY bad idea. The filth produced by the ducks will make the chicks sick.

o

Eyecndiggit--

What filth is that exactly? I understand that feeding medicated chick starter is dangerous for ducks, and I can see that being constantly wet would be bad for the chicks. Is that what you mean?

--Johanna

Here is a link that might be useful: My place: Busy Solitude Farm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here