Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
goat headbutting

Posted by dayflowr (My Page) on
Sun, May 2, 10 at 11:49

I have a doe that I got when she was 5 months old. She was bottle fed and raised around kids. She is now a year old. About 4 months ago, she started headbutting our kids. Hard. Not playing. Our kids NEVER played at headbutting with her, so it must have been something she learned at her previous home. The minute she sees anything smaller than her - kid, chicken, cat, rabbit, baby goat - she goes after it. I taught the kids to blow in her face when she starts, which works if they can get that close to her without getting nailed. I need to stop this behavior. Any suggestions? I don't want to resort to slapping her when she does it, but other than a squirt bottle and blowing in the face I'm at a loss.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: goat headbutting

A sharp no! Never push back or they will think your head butting. try a water bottle and teach the kids to say no with a squirt

o

Try a shock collar at full shock. We trained a friends Billy not to butt with one. It was one that is for a large dog and within 2 weeks he was a changed goat! It is something that must be meant "head on" so to speak before someone or an animal gets hurt.

Carry the controller in your pocket and activate it from your pocket so she can't see it. They are very smart and can put 2 & 2 together and get 4. That is why the spray bottle does work if you plan on carrying one all the time. Once she sees you without it she may start again.

Her actions maybe stem from the need to be with a Billy and have kid. They do strange things when it is their time.

Good luck

o

Oh my Gosh.....memories of my childhood and summers in Texas. The billy used to absolutely strike fear in our hearts and I've spent what seemed like hours holed up in the outhouse because he was outside waiting, until somebody missed me and came looking. Try spending time in an outhouse in the Texas sun in summer. LOL. I don't know if the head butting was worse.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here