Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claraserena

moving a Kildeer's nest.

claraserena
15 years ago

Two days ago I found a Kildeer on two eggs on the edge of our gravel driveway. Today there are 3 eggs. It's not really a nest, just a slight depression. Tomorrow the driveway gets paved so she has to move. When I get near her she shrieks and spreads her wings broody fashion. Any ideas on how to move the "nest" to a nearby spot so that she will find it and keep setting?

Comments (12)

• vancleaveterry
    15 years ago

Could you move the eggs for an hour while they pave past that spot and then return them? The nest is on the shoulder rather than in the path of the pavement?

You certainly can move the eggs five feet but you'll need a bed of gravel of some size for mom to feel securely camouflaged.

• claraserena
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The nest was where the driveway was going. I moved the nest twice, about two feet each day. Both days she came back. The driveway is done and she is on her re-located nest. So far so good!!

• vancleaveterry
    15 years ago

Excellent.

I wonder if a temporary fence six or eight feet away might help keep varmits away.

• davspa
    15 years ago

Hi, related to that, we have a pair of Kildeer nesting in out gravel parking lot at church. They have 4 eggs. Another member and I moved two railway timbers to their nest area, one above and one below, so they are protected from drivers. What I wanted to know, though was about the chicks. Surely they will be running around, won't they? What could/should we do?

It is a gravel lot, 150x75, with moderately traveled road up the hill on one short end, grass opposite on other short end. The church borders one long side and the side opposite has a small amount of woods. The lot is lightly used, about 5-10 cars each Sunday.

• shebear
    15 years ago

We have a pair that is on it's second nest this year and they too have chosen the side of a driveway. We also put up a rock fortess and a small contruction flag to keep the drivers at bay. I watched the first nest closely and she was a good mother. Once the eggs hatched she takes them away from the nesting area and never returns. You may get to see them if you have an open area with shallow water. Our mother had them out there getting bugs ASAP and it was cute watching those miniatures of her running around.

• cher33
    15 years ago

Up until this morning we had a family of kildeers and a nest of 4 eggs. Unfortunately something got to them and all that is left is 2 eggs. is there anything we can do to save these 2 eggs? they are still warm.

Cher

• b-wig
    15 years ago

I had to move a kildeer nest today about 25 feet away. The mother seemed to be watching me the whole time...I hope she is able to find the nest. I had to move it because builders are coming tomorrow to construct a house. At least now they have a chance of survival--they most certainly would have died where they were at.

• claraserena
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I posted this on "birdwatching forum" also:
    I've been counting the days and figured we were just at 28 yesterday. Last night she was on the nest at 10pm. I was afraid there would be no chicks as we had a hard freeze before the 4th egg was laid and one night about 5 days ago the eggs were left unattended for I don't know how long. Then this morning--an EMPTY NEST! I'd loved to have seen the babies but I am so happy they're all alive and well----somewhere.
    Is it likely we'll get a nest next year? I'm sure we're on the second generation of barn swallows (in our garage).
    Thanks for all your advice and encouragment!

• vharris
    14 years ago

Do Kildeer mate for life? We have been watching a pair of kildeer here. They are very entertaining and we have enjoyed them. We have found their nest in between the edge of our driveway and pasture fence. There are 3 beautiful eggs in the nest-now the problem. I have read that the pair share the nest sitting to hatch the eggs. This afternoon one the of birds was killed by a passing car.My husband found the bird by the road in front of our house. We are heartbroken. What will happen now? Can one bird sit and hatch these eggs?
    Vanessa

• brendan_of_bonsai
    14 years ago

It is incidentally very highly illegal (I think a felony) to move a killdeer nest. Unless you really want your day in federal court the thing to do in the OP's situation is to put off the paving until after the eggs have hatched and are on their way.

• thewahl56
    8 years ago

The field next to my house has a killdeer nest with eggs. I need to move the nest because the farm plows will be plowing in a day or two. Could the nest be moved without abandonment?

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH