Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bitter yolks

Posted by chick_mom south middle TX (My Page) on
Sat, May 31, 08 at 12:03

We have noticed that every once in awhile we will get an egg with a bitter tasting yolk. My hens are free ranged and seem to eat anything they can catch. Would eating spiders, toads, snakes or other small prey cause this? They also have access to Layena and scratch..
Thanks,
kit

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bitter yolks

Are any of the prey animals toxic or venomous? Could they be finding a plant that could be flavoring the eggs?

Also, could it be that whatever you used to cook the eggs imparted a metallic flavor (aluminum, for instance)?

Velvet ~:>

o
RE: bitter yolks

Yes the spiders, scorpions,etc. could be venomous.. I think they even eat the young toads. Must be the live buffet.. It is only once in awhile so it must not be the regular bugs.. Don't use aluminum cookware.. back in the 70's Prevention mag scared us off of using it.
Thanks Velvet,
Kit

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here