Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question on chicken meat

Posted by lappe (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 08 at 12:22

Hello

We have been raising about 25 giant cornish X for meat. I don't eat the dark meat at all and have put my husband on a diet that he is not suppose to eat dark meat. Now the question is, is there a bird that has more white meat on it than dark? I know it is a silly question but I just thought maybe. Any help what be appreciated.
Thanks Janet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question on chicken meat

Gee I wish you could send that out to me. My favourite part of a chicken.In fact I don't even like the white meat.
Other than that I'm afraid I cann't help you. Sorry!

o

You should be raising guineas or some game birds like pheasant, maybe. They have really dry meat (bleech, I hate white meat). I don't think they have any 'mostly white meat' chickens, otherwise the poultry industry would be raising them exclusively, I think.

o

You wouldn't want to raise guineas because they are all dark meat. I don't know about pheasant.

Bonnie

o

Janet, you probably have the highest ratio of white to dark already with the cornish X. When we lived in China, we learned that white meat was the least favored portion of the chicken among the Chinese-thus the least expensive at the markets! Chicken feet even rated higher.
Am curious why breast meat is more favored as it ranks lower in overall nutrition from my studies. If you eat any processed chicken or turkey sausages, you definitely get lots of dark meat.
You might want to partner with folks who prefer dark meat...and all can be happy.

good luck-cella jane.

o

I'm assuming you want meat with little fat (white meat fits that bill) Guineas may have 'darkish meat' but it is very lean. Very lean. In fact most recipes call for you to add fat like bacon to it so it doesn't dry out.

The other poster is right, white meat is lacking in vitamins/minerals. Better to avoid hydrogenated vegetable oils, those are really what cause wrinkles, heart problems, etc.

Read "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon to get the scoop on what is good, bad and ugly about food that is marketed in the USA. I was surprised to find out how bad most soy products are for people.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here