Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to introduce chicks into the flock

Posted by oberhasli1 Colorado (My Page) on
Mon, May 26, 08 at 12:28

I have four Australorp chicks (born March 28th) that are 2 months old. I ordered them from the feed store and raised them inside until I thought they were big enough to meet the rest of the flock. Well, I introduced them yesterday and I thought things were going well, but I had to take them out because the other chickens really beat them up pretty badly. How do I do this without having injured chickens? I sat out there all day with them and watched them interact and it seemed to go well. It was after they went into the coop they were terrorized. Would it help to put them outside with the older birds during the day and take them into the house at night, doing a gradual exposure? I assume there will always be some scuffling establishing the new pecking order, but I would like it to be a "kindler, gentler" transition. Any advice would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to introduce chicks into the flock

I usually put chicks in their own small pen inside the coop at night so that the older chickens can see them, and get used to them, but cannot hurt them. If you don't have enough room in your coop to do this than try putting them inside of a cardboard box in the coop at night so the older birds dont feel like they are invading.

o

It sounds like they were fighting over their night time roosting areas. Chickens have their favorite places to sleep. When you introduced the new ones they might have been getting booted out of the established chickens spots.
You might want to put them into the coop once the other chickens have settled in for the night and are already asleep. This will give the new ones a chance to find open areas for them to sleep in.
Or, put in a new place for them to roost on, inside of the coop.
Good Luck!

o

Do you think my chicks are too young to join the rest? My older hens are pretty big (barred rocks) and a few assorted bantams and an Aracauna. I am planning on moving my younger chicks to the barn for the time being. I may try letting them all free range a bit together while I watch them. I don't have a big enough coop to section off a space, but I could try the box I suppose. I just feel so badly about the younger one's getting thumped on. I thought they were big enough.

o

I've got info on my chicken site here on the technique I use, it's a gradual 'Meet & Greet' type thing and works pretty well:

http://jackshenhouse.com/VSChickIntroducingNewBirdsToFlock.htm

There is naturally going to be some butt kicking of any newcomer, but you can help reduce it a bit. :)

Velvet ~:>

o

Velvet Sparrow, your website is great. You have some beautiful looking chickens there. I will try the gradual "meet and greet" and see how it goes. The chicken that got thumped on the worst is doing better and can go back with her group tomorrow.

Thanks,
Bonnie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here