Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carey1950_gw

Gosling with Neurological damage & questions

carey1950
15 years ago

I hatched two goslings in the incubator. One is fine and healthy. The other one seems to have some sort of porblem. She has a hard time controling her neck muscles, can't stand up, and falls over on her back, then waves her little feet and cries. The other baby is very concerned about her, and hangs around her protecting her and sleeping on her. He screams if I take her away. Has anyone had a gosling like this improve? Is putting her down the only solution? I am so upset.

Comments (6)

• mersiepoo
    15 years ago

Is the little gosling able to eat and drink water? Not sure what could be the trouble, unfortunately. :(

• backlanelady
    15 years ago

Awww...that is sad. I don't have any experience with geese. You might have to hold her so she can eat and drink.
    Back Yard Chickens is a good forum and they have an emergency section on their forum. You might want to ask there.

• velvet_sparrow
    15 years ago

Did the gosling take an injury to it's head? It could be that the Selenium/Vitamin E treatment that we use for Crookneck/Limberneck/Head Injuries with chickens would work for goslings. I'll give you the amounts for chickens here, but FIRST I'd ask a vet if it's OK for goslings and what amounts. You don't want to poison the little guy.

Velvet ~:>

Crookneck/Limberneck In Birds

Symptoms range from inability to hold up head and kind of it twisting
    backward thru full convulsion. Another is that their legs won't hold up their
    bodies.

Here is my theory and therapy for what some call "limber neck" and I
    call crookneck. The symptoms first show as a crook in the neck. It
    progresses to tucking the head, then tucking the head between the legs, then backing up, and tumbling over. The youngsters will make a distressed peeping.
    It usually hits young birds but can happen at any age.

It is unclear what causes crookneck. American Silkie Bantam Club
    members suggest water on the brain, vitamin E deficiency, and injury to the brain that is outside the skull and forms the knob on the top of Silkie's heads.

Water on the brain was seen in a necropsy of an affected bird.
    Prednisone was suggested as symptomatic relief. Vitamin E and B complex are both good for neurological disorders. Selenium helps absorb vitamin E. Since prednisone is prescription-only, most people have to make do with what they can get at the grocery or drug store, which is the treatment below.

It is important to be sure the bird gets enough to eat and drink while
    it has this problem. Birds with severe cases of crookneck can't eat and drink enough to survive. You will need to gently place their head in the feed dish and carefully dip just the tip of the beak in water. Be careful not to dip too far into the water, and to not stress the bird while trying to help.

Daily Dosage:
    400 IU of vitamin E (one human capsule)
    Selenium 50 micrograms (You may have to get a larger tablet and cut it in half or quarters)
    Crush the Selenium into a fine powder. Take the Vitamin E capsules a poke a hole in one end with a pin, then squeeze the luquid out into a tiny dish. Mix the powdered Seleium into the Vitamin E liquid using a wooden matchstick or something similar. Hold the chick in one hand, with the other scoop up a small amount of the mixture, pry open the chicks beak and place the mix inside the chickÂs beak, allowing it to swallow it on itÂs own. Fed the chick the entire mixture. Do this once a day for 7 days.

This isn't an injury that heals rapidly. It takes medication
    and TIME. Results aren't instantaneous, but this treatment DOES work.

• carey1950
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, I think I will try it. The Vet said no medicine has been OK'd for use on Geese, but only because they haven't bothered to study it. He said I may as well try it, because he didn't see her getting any better on her own. Yes, she does eat if I help her. She doesn't seem aware that the food is there until I stick her beak into it for every bite. I think she may be blind. She had a blister on the top of her head, but I wasn't sure if that was related or if she got burned on the incubator heater coil. She MAYBE could have reached it with the top of her head. Highly unlikely, but possible.

• velvet_sparrow
    15 years ago

Well, heck, give it a try! If it's simply an injury that she needs time to recover from and not a congenital issue, I'd certainly give her a shot. :)

Good luck, and let us know how she does!

Velvet ~:>

• Kevin Folta
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Here's a longshot. We have one that does exactly the same thing. Did your situation ever resolve? What did you do? The symptoms are identical. The little guy flips onto his back like a turtle and can't get up. His head movement issues have resolved. It is a sebastapol if that's any matter. Thanks.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals