Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Broody hen question

Posted by allaroundgoatgirl (My Page) on
Mon, May 26, 08 at 12:52

I have a broody Silkie thats been sitting on 2 eggs for 3 days now.

I just got a few more eggs that I want to hatch, but is it too late to put them under her? I wouldn't want her to leave them after the first ones hatch.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Broody hen question

Is it possible to replace the first two eggs with fresh ones, so they will all have the same hatch date?

Adding the eggs you just got is risky, she may set them but abandon them when the first 2 hatch. Do you have an incubator you could finish up the eggs in if she does? That way, when the eggs hatch, you could slip the fresh chicks under her at night, adding to the ones she already has.

Velvet ~:>

o
RE: Broody hen question

There is only one egg now that will hatch before the others....do you think it would be ok to just take that chick away from her and put it in a brooder for a couple days until the rest hatch, and then slip it under her?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here