Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
velvet_sparrow

Chickam Is Back! See Baby Chicks Hatching Right Now!

velvet_sparrow
14 years ago

Our eggs are hatching! :) Here is the link to see & hear them hatching live, online--click the link and scroll down to the bottom of the page:

http://jackshenhouse.com/VSChickLinksCHICKAM.htm

There are 12 eggs in the incubator, 1 is pipped and peeping, another is rocking back and forth and peeping.

The webcam is NOT up and running yet (it's having issues) but will be up soon, I promise! :)

Velvet ~:>

Comments (6)

• mersiepoo
    14 years ago

Oh, that is so cute!! I saw the one chick, so cute! I posted this to facebook so people could see too!

• velvet_sparrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So far 4 chicks! Only the UStream link is working, JustinTV suddenly refused to work. Currently the cam is pointed into the brooder with the chicks, no more eggs are pipping for now. These chicks were all early, so if anymore start to pip we'll point the cam back at the eggs.

Otherwise, we'll move the chicks and cam into the big brooder box tomorrow! :)

• mersiepoo
    14 years ago

That was awesome! I posted the link to my facebook account, and one lady thanked me saying she used to have some chickens but couldn't anymore because she moved into a condo.

• claraserena
    14 years ago

Loved watching this. I get so caught up in it. Our chicks hatch under broodies so I don't get to see this.
    Thank you , Velvet!

• velvet_sparrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You're welcome! We did lose one chick, the one that hatched two days early. :( I'd hoped it wouldn't happen, because she was a feisty little cuss and the child of one of my favorite hens...but obviously something was wrong inside her, possibly something that didn't form quite right since she hatched before she was officially 'done cookin'.

But we did have one last chick that hatched late, so we have four chicks again--three Americaunas mix and one kind of 'mystery' bantam chick--who has our banty roo, Scott for a father, but I'm uncertain of who mom is since the chick is unexpectedly very blonde. The egg was good-sized though, and I thought was from our Silver Laced Wyandotte hen. Time will tell when she feathers out more and we get to see what she looks like!

I brought Moet, our buff Frizzle Cochin hen in as acting mom, she's raised chicks before and is an old pro. I wasn't initially going to do this, but the babies were peeping so loudly for US, that I wanted to nip that stuff in the bud. *L* But it's kind of cool to see the mom and kids interact.

We'll try another hatch with eggs gotten from elsewhere, I'm afraid my girls are getting a little too old for their eggs to reliably hatch successfully (they are at least 4 years old, some are more like 6-7). But this time I was really trying to get some chicks from some of my favorite hens. I'm thinking I'll get some eggs from the local feed store, they've got some ex-battery hens, Cinnamon Queens, that look lovely. :)

• mersiepoo
    14 years ago

I can't wait!! :) I have some guinea eggs in the incubator, but I don't have a webcam. :P I can't wait to see the other hatch! :)

Sorry to hear the early bird didn't make it for you. :(