Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Distinguishing Cuckoo Maran and Dominique chicks

Posted by pricem11 z7 NC (My Page) on
Tue, May 1, 07 at 13:35

Hi there!

I have a few chicks from a recent order from Ideal, and they've just told me they aren't certain, but they may have mixed up their Cuckoo Maran and Dominique pullets. I'm having trouble distinguising since they're only three weeks and would appreciate any advice. I know that Dominique chicks have a dark shading on the front of the leg, and my chicks do as well. Do Maran chicks have the same? Also, at three weeks old, would there be a difference in combs? These have a very slight, serrated yellow comb--again they're just three weeks. Also, I know that the cuckoo barring pattern is not as distinct as on a Dominique or Barred Rock, however, from experience, it seems that barred chicks don't really exhibit a distinct pattern until they're a bit older anyway.

Thanks for any response.

Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Distinguishing Cuckoo Maran and Dominique chicks

Marans should have white legs, Dominiques have yellow legs.

Just for general interest, Marans, are always referred to as "Marans" not Maran, even when speaking of one.

o

Thanks for the 'Marans' correction. Having Poitevin roots, I really should have known that! It's always hard to know which French words Americans retain correctly and which are spelled/pronounced differently.

o

I would rely on the combs. It sounds like you described a single comb, which should be the Marans. Leg color on hatchery birds is probably the last thing that they worry about, so I wouldn't judge which breed you have based on that alone. For that matter, it's possible that they've allowed improper combs into their flocks too, although it's a bit less likely IMO, as they want to at least try to sell birds which are supposed to look like the breeds which they claim.

o

I bought my Marans from Ideal also but it was about five years ago. I also bought some from Sand Hill too. They still lay very well for old ladies. The eggs do get lighter as they age, but they still look darker than my other brown layers.
Here a few pictures when they were younger.

This is a Dominecker rooster. Note the rose comb and yellow legs.

This is a Marans rooster.

This is a hen.

And this is a days lay. Can you spot the Marans eggs?

o

Beautiful birds Woodyend. Thanks for the pics.

Thanks Patrick. I think from the combs they're likely Marans.

o

I bought an odd lot of chickens from someone who was selling out, and have been getting one really dark (like in the pic.) very LARGE egg. don't know which hen is laying it. do any other hens lay this lg. dark brown egg?
and by the way, great pics., especially of the eggs.

o
I have 2 Dominique chicks

I have 2 Dominique chicks. I bought them for my kids for pets ( they were cheaper than anyother bird) do u think they will be good pets if we mess with them every day and i think one is a rooster he is bigger than the other one and his comb is very red and taller than the other ones comb

o

Hello:

I bought Cuckoo Marans from Ideal recently (7 weeks ago) - I HOPE they're Marans after your post!

Anyway, mine DO have white legs. The pullets are mostly black with white dots; the rooster (I ordered all pullets) has much more white - not barred but more typical Marans type marking.

I handled them a lot when they were very young, and I really like them. Although they don't enjoy being picked up and petted, they tolerate it, and just stand there while I pick them up. Please post when they start to lay eggs. I've set myself up to be disappointed that they won't lay the dark brown eggs that I'm so looking forward to, but hope that I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck.

o
guishinRE: Disting Cuckoo Maran and Dominique chicks

I have a few chicks from a recent order from Ideal, and they've just told me they aren't certain, but they may have mixed up their Cuckoo Maren and Dominique pullets. I'm having trouble distinguishing since they're only three weeks and would appreciate any advice. I know that Dominique chicks have a dark shading on the front of the leg, and my chicks do as well. Do Maren chicks have the same? Also, at three weeks old, would there be a difference in combs? These have a very slight, serrated yellow comb--again they're just three weeks. Also, I know that the cuckoo barring pattern is not as distinct as on a Dominique or Barred Rock, however, from experience, it seems that barred chicks don't really exhibit a distinct pattern until they're a bit older anyway.

o

I would think that if they sent you the wrong chicks that they will replace them with a new order of the correct breed.

I hope you have room for more chickens.

o

oregonwoodsmoke,

Having dealt with Ideal Poultry on 2 occasions concerning chick orders I know they will send replacement birds if they arrive dead, but complaints of incorrect birds, or birds with defects and disfigured birds are met with a letter requesting I purchase my chicks elsewhere in the future. They absolutely refused to even address any of the issues I had other then birds arriving dead.

I placed an order October 2011 and many were dead. Ideal sent replacement birds a few months later after several complaints. They ended up sending "similar" birds, not the ones I had ordered! Out of all the surviving birds I received 85% of the "straight run" chicks ended up being males. I do not believe I received straight run because no matter how you pick the birds, or how many you buy of different breeds the average male to female ratio is always 50%. Clearly I got the left overs after they pulled out the pullets for other orders. Two out of three Sebright hens have disfigured beaks. My Millie Fleur Rooster has no spots at all and is a bright orange color. Only one of 6 frizzled cochins show they are frizzle and the one that does is, so I am told, a double frizzle. I have learned you get a double frizzle by breeding frizzle to frizzle, which is a practice not accepted in the frizzle community. A frizzle is only to be bred to a smooth cochin, much like the curly chested Sebastopol goose should only be bred to a smooth breasted goose or risk birth defects and infertility. The double frizzle gene causes the birds to have fewer feathers and a lot of bare skin, not only causing them to look very raggedy rather then full and curly but also causing many health issues. I have a Cuckoo Maran rooster that should not have feathers on his feet, but he does!...... Ideal has contracts with many farms that supply their chicks and obviously they do not monitor for quality, accuracy or breeding practice. I am surprised they even bothered to contact Pricem11 to admit a possible mistake, all they cared about when I complained was if the chicks were alive or not, that's all!

*In my opinion no one should purchase from Ideal Poultry and continue to allow them to produce and sell substandard birds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here