Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chicken Question

Posted by aprilfool 7 (My Page) on
Mon, May 26, 08 at 14:03

I have a space about 30 x 30 foot, fenced with 6 foot tall chicken wire, Can someone tell me if chickens would fly out of this area if I put them in there? Would I need to clip thier wings and if so where do you clip them? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chicken Question

Most chickens do not fly over fencing that tall. If it's sturdy enough for them to perch on then they may give it a try. Bantams and roosters are more likely to jump that high, but it shouldn't really be a problem.

There is no need to clip their wings unless you do notice them flying over it quite often.

hope this helped. :)

o

Thanks for the info. It will really help me out to be able to keep my chickens inside this area. I'm going to give it a try this fall.

o

i have a hen that whants to set but i have never let them. What do i do ? and look for? i would like to try and let her set some eggs . can you help me????????

o

aprilfool, what kind of chickens are they? Banties can usually fly pretty darned well, while big, heavy breeds tend to stay sensibly on the ground. :) Also, is the area secure from predators? Because chicken wire isn't good enough.

redneckoppy, do you have a rooster with your hens? If so just gather 5-8 eggs and give them to her, and either isolate her or mark your hatching eggs with an X in pencil, so that you can tell the hatching eggs from fresh ones the other hens will climb in there and lay. Remove any fresh eggs daily.

If you need to find hatching eggs elsewhere, try eggbid.com for egg auctions, or ask around at the feed stores in your area, place an ad on craigslist.com, ask a fellow chicken owner, etc. Where are you located?

There is little you need to actually do for the mother and her babies, besides giving them a safe, secure area to be in, and supplying either chick starter or grow mash for the chicks to eat, plus a waterer they cannot drown in.

I've got a chicken info site here, this is the page on baby chicks, it might help:

http://jackshenhouse.com/VSChickHensBroodiesChicks.htm

Velvet ~:>

o

Velvet, what if you cannot provide a separate space for mom and baby chicks? Is it still possible to let a mom hatch some babies?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here