Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
will2o0o0

My duck has a broken Leg

will2o0o0
17 years ago

I was going to check on my ducks, and when I got out to my barn I relized one of them wasnt feeding and drinking like the others so I put my hand in their cage and my duck started hopping away on one foot, seems his other leg is completely lifeless, and it doesnt seem to hurt her when I sqeeze and move the leg around, i think the is broken at the top joint, like its thigh, she is eating and drinking still but its very difficult for her to get around, is there anything I can do? she is just a duckling about 3 weeks old, I put her back in with the other ducks her size. well let me know please, oh and by the way this happenend about 13 hours ago

Comments (8)

• Maggie_J
    17 years ago

If you can set and splint it with a couple of popsicle sticks, then wrap in gauze before putting the tape on (so it doesn't stick to the fuzz too much) it likely has a pretty good chance of healing. I'd do a Google search to find out more... something like "waterfowl treating broken leg".

Velvet Sparrow, a long-time member of this forum, has an excellent website. Click on her member page to get the URL.

• will2o0o0
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ok I will try that, if you can think of anything else let me know

• will2o0o0
    Original Author
    17 years ago

well I did notice last night when I went to check on my duck that it seems like she can move it now, she is actually able to pull her upper leg up and is able to move her foot, well not a whole lot but the day it happenend when shed move her leg would turn every way. but I was at atwoods and the I was reading a book, it said that bird heal amazingly fast I guess thats true

• tiffany_2
    15 years ago

Did your duck heal? If so, what position did you splint the leg in (straight out or in a sitting position)? I believe my duck has a broken leg. It just hangs there. He is young (7-8 weeks old). I just got him. I feel terrible for him and don't want to put him down, but I don't want him to suffer either. I'd take him to a vet but money is really tight. I need help. I feel terrible. Any suggestions?

• tiffany_2
    15 years ago

I believe my duckling has a broken leg. It just hangs there. I've heard of splinting it. What position do I splint it in? Hanging like it is or in a bent (his sitting position)position? Need help. I feel horrible and don't want him to suffer, and I certainly don't want to put him to sleep. Need help badly! Respond to tiffntat@yahoo.com. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

• lyndonmahabir_live_com
    13 years ago

I broke my duck's leg and a need help on how to fix it. Can anyone help me???

• madisonsamsel_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

If you live in houston texas, just take it to bear creek park in the duck santuary. there are these people there who take care of ducks and if they see one hurt, they will fix it. My duck has 2 broken legs and we are hoping it lives. Wish me good luck!
    P.S. (im only 9 but im a expert on animals but i get depressed when things are hurt or dying.:-0)

• class_of_2013_brittany_brown_gmail_
    12 years ago

My duck was attacked by a bobcat and it took a chunk out of her butt but thankfully she is still alive thanks to our great yellow lab that chased off the bobcat... she is healing and continues to get better everyday I seem to think she has a broken leg bc she will not step on it and she drags it but she can move it so I know she can not be paralyed on that side... I was wondering if should just leave it be or is there anything I can really do about it?

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio