Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Early signs of cat pregnancy =)

Posted by alohamillion z4Iowa (My Page) on
Sat, May 17, 08 at 15:35

We recently adopted a mother cat and 5-6 wk old kitten. The mother cat was exposed to a male cat the day before coming to our home so we were told she may be pregnant. This was almost three weeks ago now and I am not seeing any weight gain or bloated look to her. At what point will I begin to see signs of a pregnancy and how long is the gestation period for cats?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Early signs of cat pregnancy =)

• Posted by dib (My Page) on
    Mon, May 19, 08 at 20:55

.... "Exposed to a male cat the day before coming to our home" in what fashion? Was she in season, or did they just sniff noses? If she was in season, and there is reason to think she was bred, which is, as I recall, NOT a silent or unobtrusive process, then yes, she MAY be pregnant.

Try the link below for a listing of pregnancy indications in cats.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cats & pregnancy

o
RE: Early signs of cat pregnancy =)

Hi Dib,

Thank you so much for the great informative link. Unfortunately, this mother was a free to good home cat and the former owner informed me of the 'incident' with the male cat out of her own good conscience. So I really do not know what exactly occured btwn my female and the male since I was not there. The incident was less than four weeks ago so I will not be able to see any signs (she is still nursing the kitten) other than weight gain but that seems to be coming up soon if she is in fact pregnant. Again, thanks for the link.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here