Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you tell me the breed of new rooster?

Posted by lindakimy 8 SC Midlands (My Page) on
Wed, May 5, 10 at 16:18

My dh was recently gifted a young rooster by a friend of his who had gotten too many males in a shipment of newly hatched chicks. No one around here has been able to identify him so I thought maybe some of you who are so familiar with poultry might know.

Photobucket

Here is another view - less sharp because it is through the fence.

Photobucket

He is still pretty young; his spurs are not an inch long yet. So far he seems rather slender but that may just be me. I'm used to our plump Rhode Island Red and Buff hens.

He is a pretty fellow, isn't he? Any idea what breed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you tell me the breed of new rooster?

I'm just a longtime lurker on the Farm Forum, but I gotta say he IS beautiful.

o

Wow, is he ever stunning! Except for his comb, he could be a Kraienkoppe...he's got that 'intense eye' thing going. What is his personality like?

He's not a jungle fowl type, wrong kind of comb...did he come from a hatchery, or is it possible he is a mix? If I had to guess on a mix, I'd say something like Kraienkoppe/Australorp, Kraienkoppe/Leghorn or Kraienkoppe/Americaunas (but he's missing the facial tufts).

He's darned gorgeous, whatever he is!

Velvet ~:>

o

Looks like a Copper Maran to me. Might have a bit too much color to be a straight Black Copper Maran but they do have the penciling on the breast feathers and the copper neck and saddle and black tails as I recall.

Damn gorgeous bird.

o

Thanks for your comments. So far he seems pretty easy going but that may be because he is still so young. Other roosters I've known seemed to become more ornery over time. He is noisy. Good thing we live way out in the country. Apparently he thinks the proper response to just about anything is a session of very loud crowing.

I expect he is a mix of some kind. The guy who gave him to dh said he was an Americauna but he doesn't look much like the pictures I've seen of those. I asked dh to see if he could find out more about him from that fellow.

o

beautiful. too bad I can't have roosters in the city.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here