Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chicks and baby turkeys together, OK?

Posted by sewgreen middlePA (My Page) on
Thu, May 15, 08 at 16:24

We have 21 chicks (our 1st try at this) -and dear friends asked us to babysit their 2 baby turkeys. They were hatched the same week as our chicks. There is room in the chick box for them. I have the turkeys in a rubbermaid tote which seems to be getting too small for them. They are growing so fast. Almost twice the size of our little hens! Can I put them together? Is it safe? They are not quite 3 weeks old.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chicks and baby turkeys together, OK?

I wouldn't do it, I would worry about the turkey poults attacking the smaller chicks. Can you just put the poults in a small box with their own separate heat source?

o

Well, at three weeks old I wouldn't chance it. Newly hatched chicks and turkey poults are often housed together, the more clever chicks often teach the poults where and how to find food and water.

But by three weeks I'd separate them for sure.

Velvet ~:>

o

I wouldn't do it either, poults are much larger and could hurt the chicks. Definitely separate them.

-Sheila

o

I couldn't even introduce chicks that I bought at the local Feed 'n Grain once to mail order chicks that were two days older. (I did eventually.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here