Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Feeding ducklings properly

Posted by sujiwan 6 MD (My Page) on
Mon, May 11, 09 at 17:25

I have week old runner ducklings. I have purchased duck grower but am wondering exactly how much to feed them daily. It seems like they will clean out the food and water dish extremely quickly and are constantly ready for more so that I am putting food and water in with them 3 times a day. I don't want to overfeed them! What total amount of feed per duck should I measure out daily for week olds and by how much should I increase it per week of age? How much for adults? ( I can't seem to find this info online).

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Feeding ducklings properly

We've always let them free-choice feed, meaning food always available. In our opinion active, growing young ones of any species cannot be overfed if fed nutritious food free-choice.

If you must measure their food, we've used (for all species)a 10% bodyweight for food. Don't know if that is absolutely correct or not for ducks, but it's worked for us with other species, except you have to keep weighing them as they grow. You can try supplementing with grass clippings to vary their diet a little bit, too, they may or may not eat it.

As far as water, it should be available constantly. Ducks need water to clean out their bills. We do recommend the same free-choice food as ducks grow quickly.

Hope that helps,
Brendasue

o

I have one jumbo pekin duckling that is a MONSTER already! He or she is growing so fast, about as heavy as the two goslings I have. I feed them all a mix of sweet feed, XLA, grass and other greens. I throw insects in there if I can catch them.

o

I am so enjoying having two Pekin ducklings this year with my chicks, but I'm very surprised how fast they grow! They are absolutely pigs with the food and water. I need to build a new pen so they'll have more room (and a dirt floor, so the chicks don't stand in water!).

--Johanna

Here is a link that might be useful: My place: Busy Solitude Farm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here