Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ring a pig's nose

Posted by tchappetta SC KS (My Page) on
Mon, May 22, 06 at 17:33

Does anyone know where you ring a pig's nose to keep them from rooting? Yes, I know it is "in the nose" but do you just pull the snoot out and ring it as close to the outer edge as possible? Thanks for any help on this one!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ring a pig's nose

there should be an area close to the outer edge in the middle where it is just thick skin, seems like you could ring it there, but I have never done it, could you google it? you might find something there?

o

I'm very new to raising pigs--we just got 3 this week (Wilbur, Hans und Frans)--but In reading up on them I came acorss this "Their tactile facilities are mainly concentrated in the rooting disc, where Adrian (1943) counted as many tactile organs as humans have on the palms of both hands". This is from an academic article about the "ethological definition of animal welfare with special emphasis on pig behaviour" by a Dutch author who discusses pigs' natural behaviors--very interesting!.. Anyway, I wonder if ringing a pig's nose is very painful.
AS I said, I am brand new to raising pigs and am glad you guys are out there--I'm sure I'll have questions!

o

It seems like we used to put the ring close to the edge on the top of the snout. This is what they use to dig. They squeal during, but they squeal just about as much just because they are being held down. Yes, the idea of ringing is that it hurts to dig up where they aren't supposed to be digging. They seem comfortable enough otherwise. If it's just the edge of the fence they are rooting you could go with a low electric fence instead to keep them back.

o

Hi guys I haven't posted on here before. My last pig was ringed by the vet, its a fairly simple procedure but not for the faint hearted. As the pig will make a hell of a racket, there are a couple of videos on youtube showing it being done with wire through the top of the nose. Or you can place a ring through the same position with the appropriate applicator and allso a couple on the sides through the nostril..

Cheers Brent

o

Hello! I have a pet pig and we must get it a nose ring for rooting... I found a vet that will do it, but I dont live in a farm area... I need to find a place online I can purchase the nose rings for the Vet to use...anyone able to help?

o

FM, do a google search of vet supplies, large animals.
Other than that...do you have a Tractor Supply Store (TSC) in your area? They aren't ALL in farming areas...do a location search on them on the web tooo.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here