Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
introducing chicks to hens

Posted by grullablue 5 (My Page) on
Sat, May 26, 12 at 18:20

I've raised two flocks of chickens....but they came together, grew up together, and didn't have to introduce them. Now, I have 8, 3 year old hens, and have four chicks, about a month old.

How should I introduce them when it's time, and should I wait until the chicks are close to their size? My girls are RIR's and Black Australorps, and the chicks I got are columbian wyandottes. I had wondered if they would "take chicks under their wing..." or would they kill 'em? I have introduced a lone hen to my flock once....and they argued a lot, but only for a couple days.

So, do you wait until the chicks are nearly full grown?

Thanks!
Angie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: introducing chicks to hens

I had this situation a few weeks ago. My hens are about four years old and there are 6 of them. I had to add 16 new chicks about a month old. My hens are all pets so they seemed to accept them just fine. They looked at them a few times but there were no fights. The young ladies kinda had an understanding with the hens that the hens ruled and the chicks were to mind their p's and q's.(-:
Then someone gave my son a pekin duckling a couple weeks ago and I added him to the mix. The duckling seemed to get along well too.I hope your hens accept your new chicks! Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here