Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two week old chicks - male or female?

Posted by roberta_z5 z5 IL (My Page) on
Fri, May 12, 06 at 18:40

If they can sex day old chicks, I should be able to tell what sex my five Barred Rocks are. We started with 8 of them -- four cockerels and four pullets. We now have five left that are two weeks old. I am really wondering what they are --- we really only want two roos, but what we have is what we have.

How do I tell?????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two week old chicks - male or female?

Barred Rocks aren't one of the breeds that can be sexed by different colors or handy little spots on their heads, unfortunately. Luckily they DO have upright combs, so the little roos will start showing their headgear before the girls do. You'll have to do some chick-to-chick comparisons in your batch. I've come across some male/female characteristics in chickens in general that might help, rather than retype it here I'm going to put in a link to my chicken page:

http://home.earthlink.net/~velvetsparrow/VSChickHensBroodiesChicks.htm

Day old chicks can be easily sexed by a very experienced, trained professional because at one day old the 'equipment' is right there and obvious. :) After they get a day or two older it becomes difficult, if not impossible.

Good luck! :)

Velvet ~:>

o

One thing I've found in barred rocks (and this may be in Velvet's link) is that the males are more of a silver color. Once they start to feather out a little bit you should really notice a difference.

In general (this is in all chicks not just BR), I've also noticed that there is a difference in the size of their shanks. If you compare them across the board you'll notice the cockerels have thicker shanks.

o

Barred Rocks have the sexlinked, incompletely dominant (B) gene. Day old chicks can be sexed by the white spot on the head, females have a much smaller and narrower spot than males. The feathers are black with white bars and the males(BB) will have wider white bars than the females(B). Show stock also has a slow feathering gene(K^s) to assist in a more clear pattern. It is also referred to as cuckoo barring. This gene also inhibits color so the females with 1 gene will have darker shanks(legs) There is an autosomal barring gene(Ab) also, as in the silver and gold pencilled Hamburgs.

o

My roosters always hold their wings pointed lower than my hens at that age. Not sure if others use that method, but it works for me.

o

OK, didn't know that Barred Rocks could be sex linked... :) ya learn something new every day! I haven't raised that breed from chicks before though...

Thanks fanci! :)

Velvet ~:>

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here