Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mersiepoo

I have this rooster....here's his biography so far.

mersiepoo
14 years ago

I rescued him as a chick, he got out of the chicken wire and almost got pecked to death by the adult chickens. Since then he figured that I rescued him and therefore is pretty affectionate, as far as roosters go. He's a little silkie banty, he's even got a name, Chippy. :) Adorable, huh?

Anyway, before I knew much about raising chickens or guineas, I made an unfair trade with some neighbors around here. I traded them some nice healthy disease free guineas for not so nice, unhealthy disease ridden birds. Yes, hindsight is 20/20 in this case! A few of the red star chickens died within a week. Since I knew it wasn't because of the care we were giving them, I started looking closer at the chickens. Turns out they had mites and also leg mites too. Not sure what other diseases they have or had. There were some other symptoms, like sneezing, some misshapen eggs, stuff like that. I've been whittling down my flock, and it's basically down to Chippy and some hens that are going to become stew. I feel so terrible about having to do him in, but not sure if there are any other options. I don't want to give any other chicken owners a potentially diseased bird.

I just wish I could find someone who wants a rooster and doesn't have any other chickens or fowl. Figured I would post this in case anyone has any suggestions other than to eat him. He was pretty much my pet, so I hate to have to shoot him. I doubt that a wildlife rehab center would take him, ditto the Humane society. Animal Friends has a looong waiting list! If it were just the external parasites, that wouldn't be a problem, but it's the other potential disease or if he's a carrier that is the problem.

If I have to, I'll have hubby do it, because Chippy used to attack his boots in the spring, lol! Anyone know a retired farmer who wants a rooster? Sorry, he's not housebroken.

{{gwi:35123}}

Comments (8)

• lfrj
    14 years ago

gOSH, I'm sorry, but given your description of the situation, I'm not sure why you have to gice him away? Is there the option of treating the sick birds, or isolating Chippy so he doesn't get sick? We've had to deal with scaley mites and while it is contagious, it wasn't lethal and we dealt with it. Sounds like there is a more severe sickness going on - perhaps you can describe the illness so it can be addrssed? Silkies are fighters. If you like your little guy, why not fight for him?

• velvet_sparrow
    14 years ago

Chippy is awfully pretty! Yahoo Groups has several Silkie groups online, their forum members are quite knowledgeable and may be able to either find him a home or help you cure him if you go over there and ask around.

Seconding the offer to try and help diagnose & treat him, if you'll give us his symptoms.

Also, when I click on Chippy's pic, I can get into your Photobucket album and edit or do anything I want, you might want to change that. :)

Velvet ~:>

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info velvet..aaugh! I didn't know that happened..OMG! LOL! Oh well, thanks for letting me know that one. Luckily I don't have any bad pictures on there, lol!

Well, Chippy doesn't have any overt symptoms, what I am worried about is that he could be a carrier for some disease. I am basing this on the fact that the other birds that I had had (and died) had some sort of disease or diseases a few years ago. I just worry that he may be a carrier for something unseen.

Years ago, when my new flock had mixed with my other flock of birds, I noticed that later on I saw symptoms of neck twisting in my new flock (that had been bought at a hatchery and were disease free). Also I had some hens that started laying eggs with weird shapes, ridges in them, stuff like that. Also a few eggs were laid with no shell on them. This is why I'm in a bind, as I don't know what those diseases could be. Chippy has never exhibited them, and as far as egg laying goes, he never laid an egg, lol!

• tramirez
    14 years ago

I agree with treating him. There are antibotics, about $5 a packet to treat over 10 gallons of water, and several other medicines readily available at TSC and other Farm and Garden Centers that could help straighten out the birds, of course you cant eat them or the eggs until the drugs have passed through their systems. Im treating a chicken with a broken toe and a rabbit with snuffles- at this point its cheap enough. Dont know how much more I will be willing to invest but Im a big fan of learning. Since we dont depend on the animals we grow for absolute survival its easy not to value their life cycle as much as our ancestors did when they didnt have a choice. Im just trying my best to learn- who knows- with this economy we may be learning valuable techniques. Happy Homesteading!- TR

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I wouldn't give him antibiotics because I don't think that is what is wrong with him, he doesn't show any symptoms that is why I'm afraid he may be a carrier for something. We don't have a vet around here that does testing either, and I can't afford to buy a pullurom (sp) testing kit, not sure what to test for anyway, lol!

I'll see if I can find someone on the silkie forum that knows someone who wants a lone rooster for a pet. :) Keep yer fingers crossed, lol!

• gardendawgie
    14 years ago

you can look up freecycle and offer him locally for free. tell them your concerns when you talk to them on the phone. do not put it all into the freecycle offer.

You might find a day care center where they would like just the one bird for the kids to play with and learn.

Antibiotics will not solve anything. Do not use them.

You might find someone with silkie who wants to fertilize a female. That would be nice.

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sigh, well I subscribed to the banty forum online, posted his sob story, but no takers there at all.

Problem with freecycle is, we are so far out in the booners that no one and I mean almost no one wants to drive all the way down here, even for free stuff! I get mostly no shows, even when I give stuff away. :P

I guess if I don't get anyone who wants him I'll have my husband put him down. :(

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

• laturcotte1
    14 years ago

I am so sorry to hear about Chippy, I wish we could take him in we live in Massachusetts and have an animal rescue. We acquired a rooster in January 09 that was walking down the highway. He had frost bite and lost all his toes, but he is still pretty proud and cockadoodledoos all day. He'll never have toes so if we rescue any other roos they will have to be kept penned, Fletcher has the run of the place. We also have a 39 yr old blind pony we took Nov 07 and she is doing well, the rest are pretty young and healthy. Maybe he can have a place of his own with a couple hens of his own and keep him away from the rest of the flock. Sounds like he may have earned a place in your heart.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County