Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Disturbed nest of duck eggs by accident!

Posted by nicksmom99 MI (My Page) on
Sun, May 16, 10 at 19:43

My husband and I were removing some bushes from our landscaping when we noticed a nest of eggs had been underneath. We did not touch them with our hands, but my husband did move one a little with a stick. We put the bush back over the nest to protect the eggs.

We believe that they are duck eggs (can't imagine what else they would be). I've been doing some research on the internet about incubating them, but I have no idea how far along they are.

Is there a way to tell how far along they are? I don't know if they'd be better off if I just leave them and hope the mom comes back, or if I should make an attempt to save them.

Any advice is appreciated!! I believe there are at least 5 eggs, but there could be more.

Please help!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Disturbed nest of duck eggs by accident!

• Posted by beegood Zone 3 alberta (My Page) on
    Mon, May 17, 10 at 11:12

She should be back. Even if you touched them. I have moved eggs when we were haying and she just looked after them. I really do not think they can smell.I didn't move them far away. Just over a bit.

o

The american vultures can smell, but most birds have a very poor sense of smell. That old line about not disturbing a nest because the birds can smell humans has little to do with reality.

o

• Posted by beegood Zone 3 alberta (My Page) on
    Mon, May 17, 10 at 16:12

Well never seen a vulture but looks like they can zero in on anything dead so I guess before they see it they smell it. And I agree birds could care less if you touched their eggs or babys. We used to take baby crows for pets and Mama crow still looked after the rest. When birds are banded the parents don't just leave.

o

Thanks for your help! I was doing a lot of research on the internet, and one place said the duck wouldn't come back if you were around the eggs. Can't believe everything you read (or hear for that matter)!!!

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and respond!

o

Don't be around the eggs, the ducks will see you and stay away, try to be far away from the eggs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here