Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Magpies & Crows stealing eggs

Posted by oberhasli1 Colorado (My Page) on
Wed, May 21, 08 at 19:54

My guineas roost in my barn at night and free range during the day. The females return to the barn to lay their eggs behind my stack of hay. Every egg that is gets laid disappears. I am sure it is the magpies and/or crows that fly in and out of my barn. I had a problem last year, but my guineas were able to lay enough eggs in an area I set up to discourage the poachers. But, this year they are even bolder and the eggs are gone as soon as they are laid. I know it is not my dogs, because the eggs disappear in the morning before my dogs are even out or the main doors opened. I even thought it could be a rat, but I have never seen one and I am sure my dogs would smell it around. I have tried to set up private places for the guineas, but they are pretty shy about nesting in a "box" type of enclosure because I think they feel trapped. My barn is open during the day to keep the air moving and fresh.

Any thoughts on how to discourage the big poachers (without shooting involved)?

Bonnie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Magpies & Crows stealing eggs

Corvids are pretty darned clever...but you might try leaving a radio on & tuned to a talk radio station in your barn. Maybe the sound of human voices will help keep them out.

If you really want to find out who or what is stealing the eggs (I assume there is no 'broken egg' evidence left behind?), set up a camera or video recorder aimed at the nesting area.

Velvet ~:>

o

Can you leave the dogs in the barn to scare the birds?

o

You can take the eggs as soon as they are laid and return them when she is ready to incubate. Also, you can build a shelter around the nest.

o

I have tried building a shelter around the nest, but the magipies just walk right in. The magpies will be nesting soon and won't be around quite as much. I will try to gather an egg or two here and there until I have about 20 and then see if she will sit on them. Last year, I had one female that decided to sit on them and then the other two females joined in.

o

You're sure it's not a snake or possum?

o

I'm pretty sure its neither of those. We don't have possums here at all, and we have very few snakes. I have only seen a small garter snake years ago. We are at a pretty high altitude here, which discourages a lot of snakes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here