Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
queenbeesand

New introduction/question

queenbeesand
13 years ago

Hello, I'm new here. We just moved into a farmhouse with 4 acres and a big animal barn. We purchased 4 ducks, 16 chickens, and a pigmy goat. We love it here and I have done my best to educate myself on the animals before I get them. However, I still have some questions that I can't seem to find answers to. I hope you don't mind me joining in here.

Of the 16 chickens, I bought 12 in March and 2 died. 8 were sexed to be hens and 2 were just a crap shoot (the little black chicks just looked so cute). We bought 6 more sexed hens in April. Of the first bunch, one of the sexed hens (my 3 yr old's pet chicken-named Princess Cinderella) was looking more like a Prince Charming. I heard him trying to crow the one day, that's when I knew we got a bum deal on that sexed 'hen'. Anyway, one of my black peeps is suspected to be looking more 'male', but the verdict isn't in just yet. If this one is a male too, can they be kept together? Will they fight? We got the hens for laying eggs, so we need to keep the males away from the females unless we plan on breeding for peeps right? Just wondering because in a chicken magazine that I was reading one article sounded like roosters were kept with the egg laying hens. Since we haven't gotten to the point of egg laying yet, does it matter as far as eating the egg if it's fertilized by a rooster or just laid? Thanks. I hope someone can shed some light on this. Maybe they are stupid questions, but I'd rather know than assume something. :)

Sandy

Comments (3)

• littledog
    13 years ago

Congratulations on the new birds. If both your chicks turn out to be males, they will tussle, but only a little. It won't take long for one to establish himself as Boss and the other will; be second in command. They'll more than likely end up patrolling together, the dominant male will breed a hen first, then the second in command. (if he's lucky). Otherwise, #2 will try to woo away a few hens for himself. But they won't be having very many (if any) knockdown, drag out bloody battles once they've established the pecking order.

You don't need any roosters to get eggs, but you do need them if you want chicks. You can also run the boys with the girls, it's actually interesting the way the males take care of "their" ladies, watching out for danger, calling them over to eat first when they find a treat. The hens will seek him out and want to hang around him all day.

But, if the two males start seriously ganging up on one or two hens, or spend all their time chasing girls and breeding, then you can get rid of one of them. One rooster can easily take care of at least ten hens, but I wouldn't keep more than two roosters per dozen hens because they'll harass the ladies constantly and you'll end up with fewer eggs unless you keep them in separate breeding pens.

• calliope
    13 years ago

Don't need to add much, good explanation. I keep my roos in with my hens. Don't make it any harder than it has to be ;-). You won't even notice the difference between fertile and non fertile eggs. It's an old wive's tale that fertile eggs have blood spots. It happens sometimes even when no roo is around. Unless you have too many roos, they treat the ladies well and yeah......are their protectors. I have had a roo who lost his toes to a racoon by placing himself between it and the hens. Mine are even gentle with the chicks.

• gardengalrn
    13 years ago

Yes, I agree with the above advice. My DH grew up on a farm but also had the idea drilled into his head that a roo with the girls would make eggs a bloody mess. Not true. In my 3 yrs of having chickens, I've always had a roo. I'll see blood specks here and there but I don't think it has anything to do with the roo and more to do with the particular hen. I have a father/son Iowa Blue and mix and they have been fairly nice to their lady friends. They aren't huge birds which helps IMO. Mostly they are kind and treat the girls well but certain days I think they must be more enamourous since they chase the girls around like crazy. Out of my 20 new layers, I was disappointed that one of my Americaunas were crowing. Sigh. I had only ordered 2 of them so now only one layer. I will have to cull any and all new roos, as I think the two I have are more than enough. Too bad, this Americauna type is really pretty :( But he joined the meat birds on "that side of the fence." Lori