Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Worning chickens need advice

Posted by goatster 7bGa (My Page) on
Tue, May 30, 06 at 22:54

I have some stuff called PIG SWIG. I was told by someone at a feed store they use it to worm their chickens. Anyone else use it? If not what do you use and how much. How long to I not eat the eggs after?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Worning chickens need advice

I use Wazine 17 for poultry and swine. The active ingredient is Piperazine. Your label should list the active ingredient of Pig Swig. Directions say to use 2 fluid ounces (or 1/4 cup) to 2 gallons water for 100 birds over six weeks of age. Remove water the night before and provide treated water for the entire next day. Do not medicate within 14 days prior to slaughter. Do not use in chickens producing eggs for human consumption.

I pitch the eggs for 14 days after treating into a neighbor's overgrown pasture that the chickens can't get to. I figure the racoons can use a little treatment, too...

o

I couldn't find any info online about a product called 'Pig Swig'. What is the active ingriedient?

Because there are a wide range of parasites that infest poultry, and some products kill one or some but not all, you need to know what kind of worm you have before you worm, if possible. Go by the birds' symptoms and inspect some droppings (put some poop in a clear, disposable container with some water, cap it, shake it and see what kind of critters emerge), or take the suspect bird to the vet so they can look at a fecal sample under a microscope to find out for sure.

Piperazine only kills roundworms. If you are sure that's all it is, go ahead and use it. There's a great page here on the various types of worms:

http://www.gamerooster.com/disease/parasites.shtml

REALLY good info on worms here, too:

http://www.organic-vet.reading.ac.uk/Poultryweb/disease/helm/helm1.htm

I use a broad-spectrum wormer called Equimax to worm my flock. It kills as much as possible for one product when you aren't sure what the problem is. I've got instructions for worming on my chicken info page here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~velvetsparrow/VSChickHealth.htm

Velvet ~:>

o

The active ingredient in PIG SWIG is Piperazine 17 grams per 3.33 ounces. I am not sure what kind of worms but I did notice some of the chickens have very pale combs, seem depressed and runny poo. I assumed worms to be the problem. Where do you get your Equimax Velvet?

o

I get my Equimax at any feed & tack store that caters to horses (Equimax is a paste wormer for horses). Be warned--it's pricey! The cheapest I could find it was $15.00 a tube, and it took 3 1/2 tubes to dose my flock for the first round only--you need to follow up with a second dose to kill any worms that have hatched since. You can find it online at Valley Vet Supply for around $10.00 a tube, with I think free shipping, so it's a good deal if you haave the time to order ahead. I used to get it on ebay even cheaper, but no one is selling it there right now.

Good luck!

Velvet ~:>

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here