Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracerracer

Really fast answer needed on chicks

tracerracer
14 years ago

I have 2 aracana (I can't spell worth a darn, sorry) chicks to introduce to my girls (1 yr on the 1st of May). I have one 'broody hen' (it does her no good, no boys) that I was told if I took the chicks out @ night and 'slipped' them under her when they were sleeping that would be the easiest intro for them............Trade the 2 eggs I have let her sit for about 2 1/2 wks now, for the 2 chicks.........Anyone think this will work? thanks for your time.............T

Comments (3)

• dgkritch
    14 years ago

How old are the chicks? I think I'd just keep them separate until the chicks are at least 6 weeks old, then integrate as adults.
    But, I'm NO expert!!! Just what I've always done.
    I'm jealous of the fact that you have a broody hen! I wanted to let my "girls" have their own chicks but no one wanted to set. I've got my Buckaroo to get the job done, but the hens just don't 'get it'!! LOL

Good luck!
    Deanna

• velvet_sparrow
    14 years ago

Lordy, I've got TEN broody hens right now! My coop and run and just one big grump pile! *L* They have taken to brooding together in groups or two and sometimes three, and mothering each other. It's cute. :) I've given them some eggs to set on, and they are really good about sharing, surprisingly.

If the chicks are within a few days old, you can try slipping them under her at night and removing her eggs at the same time. By morning she SHOULD have accepted them and they her, but WATCH THEM for signs of either group rejecting the other, and if it doesn't work don't try and force it. Have a brooder box standing by just in case you need to swoop in for a quick rescue.

Good luck and enjoy your chicks! :)

Velvet ~:>

• tracerracer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for answering.........Here's what's happened so far...........Oh, chicks were hatched out on the 13th, so 2 days old at the time of 'operation chick insertion'

My 'broody' hen, New Hamshire Red, was a sleep on the nest (9:30 or so)(past my bedtime, lol) my DH and I did the sneaky pete walk out to the hen house..In his hand were a couple empty egg shells, he dropped the door we have on the nest boxes (carefully of course, still in stealth mode) As he pulled the eggs out from under her and crushed the empty shells in his other hand, I put the sleeping chicks under her. She didn't bat an eye, there was a little adjustment as the chicks burrowed under her, then all quiet.

Now, this morning, 'bout 6 or so (it's Saturday, I sleep in a little ;o) ) I let the girls out and then closed 'their' door and went through the 'man' door to check. My Mamma looks like she's ready to take on a bear (although she let me check) and chicks are still w/ us, so far so good, we'll see.......

dgkritch: About the broody hen.........I 'got' her over simple 'oversight'. My nest boxes are elavated ('bout 1 1/2') I had one of my hens lay an egg under the nest boxes and I usually check there regularly, I hadn't.....With my girls it seems that if an egg is left for a couple few days, they'll try to set it. I generally discourage this as I have a girls only club, and it's a 'fruitless' venture on their part....But, I had just 'lost' my big aracana (nice hen, darn it) and I wanted to add 1-2 more to my flock.. I have 4 barred rocks, 3 australorps, 4 new hamshire red, 2 rhode island reds and 1 aracana.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH