Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much to charge for a baby goat!

Posted by natalie312 9 (My Page) on
Sun, May 31, 09 at 23:50

Hey,
I was just wondering how much to charge for a baby male pygmy goat. They will be dehorned befor we sell them, and fixed. Im not sure what the father is but the mother is deffentially full breed. They look full breed but not fro sure. The mother is registrated.
Thank you,
~~Natalie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much to charge for a baby goat!

I usually charge between $25.00 and $50.00 for a wether that has been dehorned and neutered.

Bonnie

o

Natalie, I got to thinking about it and a caveat to my previous reply is what I charge for dairy goat wethers. I forgot that with pygmy's the wethers can be shown at shows whereas dairy goat wethers cannot. Apples and oranges, huh? I usually sell my wethers to someone for use as a pack/trail goat. I am sure you could ask more for your pygmy than I get for dairy wethers. Maybe you could find out through your county extension agent the name of a farm that also has pygmy's and see what they charge.

Bonnie

o

looks like $200 is reasonable.

Depends on where you live. Calif would be higher priced then northern Maine.

Here is a link that might be useful: for sale

o

I used to have pygmy goats, and have friends who used to breed and sell them, and they were between $60-80 for wethers. But I bought my first pair, a brother and sister pair, for $80. This is in WI. But I also, around here, sometimes see dairy goat wethers sell as cheaply as $10 a piece. So maybe we're cheaper here. But when we had goats, I would have expected about $60 to be reasonable for a pygmy wether.

o

I would NEVER pay $200 for a whether. When I was in the market they were $50-60 here. I opted for the Nigerians, one polled one dehorned, $30 each.

o

Wow. It certainly depends where you are! Does start at $200-$400. Bucks $150-250, whethers 75-125. These prices are for purepreds, though, disease tested for the most part.

Salebarn goats go for $30-70, though you can almost guarantee something wrong with them, sometimes you can get lucky & find one that the owners just lost interest in and not have CAE, CLA, or Johnes.

Here though, we do not have year round pasture, oftentimes having to haul hay from quite a bit away. We're covered in snow/ice sometimes from Nov/Dec through Mar/April, depends, so the price to raise them is higher than some other areas. Plus, it's a bit more residential so that limits the breeders/choices.

Brendasue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here