Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coupla Goat Questions

Posted by msjay2u 7 (My Page) on
Wed, May 21, 08 at 23:52

1- has anyne used food grade DE to deworm goats and if yes did it work or did you have to supplement with something? How much DE do you use?
2- I am getting 2 goats. I am told they are Pygmies but looking at the ears I doubt it. Here is a picture of the kids:
kids
note the floppy ears
here is the mother. she has all the markings of a Pygmy: helicopter ears, white muzzle short hair
Photobucket
she does not know what the father is. What are your thoughts on the breed? Could these kids be Kinders?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coupla Goat Questions

Could be Nigerian Dwarf crosses.

o

That is what I was thinking a Pygmy and Nigerian cross which is what they call a Kinder. I just hope these kids don't grow up to be giants

o

maybe nubian crossed with pygmy??

o

she said today Boar and Pygmy. I wonder what they will look like big??? Anyone have this combo goat out there??

o

As I read through I was thinking boer/pygmy. We have a Nubian pygmy and she doesnt look anything like those.

Ive heard very good things about DE with horses and goats and plan to get some soon. A good friend or ours has used it for years. Just make sure they give you food grade, and not accidently not do it.

o

Your pygmy does not look like which? The babies or the mother? Well the mother is definately a pygmy. The babies look pygmy in the face but the ears throw you off. But she said the father is Boer. One kid has a little white around the eyes and muzzle, white on the forehead, darker dorsal and darker boots. Their hair is kinda Pygmy type. From what I see they have all the characteristics of the Pygmy except the ears. It is kind of weird to me but they are cute. I am wondering what the mix looks like grown. Just a mutt probably.

I do have the food grade DE and it was very hard to find. I tried mixing a half teaspoon in their food and it made them sneeze and ther refused to eat it. Finally after 2 days they lightly ate some but they definately do not like it. I spread some on the ground under the hay and I think I noticed no flies. I did just clean the pen so I guess I will wait to see what happens after a few days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here