Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drake with newly hatched ducklings?

Posted by crazybirdlady49 AZ (My Page) on
Fri, May 29, 09 at 23:59

I have a trio of Crested Blue Swedish Ducks who are penned in an area about 8X10 feet. The two females are quite prolific layers and I have have successfully hatched many ducklings in an incubator. The Drake is very agressive and has killed several birds who got in his pen. One of the females began setting on eggs a couple weeks ago. I am worried about how the drake will act towards the babies. Should I separate them? Will the other female be agressive towards them as well? I'm sure the mother will protect them as much as she can, but I'd love some advice. I can always put the babies in a brooder, but I would like to let nature take its course unless means disaster.
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drake with newly hatched ducklings?

The area is so small that if one of the other adults wants to kill them they will be successful. 24 hours a day in close confinement, the killer wins every time.

after they are hatched out you can introduce the adults one at a time and watch them very closely. I would be more worried about the other female. I would guess the male will protect the babies. But you might want to be safe. Also if one is bad you will find out which one instead of finding all the babies dead and not knowing who killed them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here