Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doninalaska

Muscovy Ducks

doninalaska
13 years ago

I bought a few Muscovy ducks to control bugs, slugs, and whatever. They are in my chicken pen, but I would like to release them into a different area of our property. Does anyone have any tips for keeping them around or confined in a large area?

Comments (6)

• lilbitfarms
    13 years ago

we too have muscovies. our roam our yard freely. they will stick around if you offer them food daily. they learn where they are fed and tend to stay around. once they are used to yard they will not need to be sublimented with feed.

• goldenpond
    13 years ago

No, people here in Florida consider them and mallards an invasive species Everyone I know wants to know how to GET RID of them. I hear they are well mannered but they do poop BIG and i guess that is offensive to people. OH well.

• dianezone5
    13 years ago

Ducks are trainable. I have Indian Runners & Roeuns(look like mallards). So if they're anything alike, you have to show them their boundries. It takes alot of patience and sometimes a little reminding, but mine do not go in the front yard...much. I'm lucky enough to have neihbors who don't care if they come over for a snack or make a dinner of their bugs. If they get out of bounds I yell "Hey" and clap my hands and that usually turns them home. One out of 15-20 times I may have to make them know who's Boss. I'm trying to teach my Yorkie to "Round-em-up", but he gets a little to excited sometimes. Your ducks will learn to let you guide them. Its kinda like backing up a trailer, If I hold my right arm out straight they turn left, or visa-versa. I usually put them in their pen at night by myself, but once in awhile,when they're feeling like staying out all night I need my husbands help. Good Luck !!!
    They are such a JOY.

• doninalaska
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I am still a bit concerned that they will take off on me, for they can fly some and climb. I will keep them penned until next month, then try releasing them. A the moment, I have them in with the chickens in an enclosed yard to protect them from eagles, hawks, owls, etc.

• islandmanmitch
    13 years ago

I want to know how to get rid of them myself.
    Let just a few out of the pen and keep the others shut up. After a week you can let them all out. If that don't work let me know and you can come get about a thirty or forty of them from my yard any morning to replace them.

• patty1297
    13 years ago

Ditto for me here in Fl also, can't get rid of them. They multiple tooooo fast.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?