Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
billiej_gw

Help - Sick chicken can not raise her head

billiej
13 years ago

Three weeks ago I got 4 2 year old hens given and bought 4 point of lay birds. I have no previous experience with chickens, but tried to do the right thing for them. They have free range during the day in an acre garden and plenty supply of layers pellets and handful of corn and salad as a treat at tea time.

Friday evening the bird was fine and healthy, I was weeding and she was eating all the bugs and things as I was turning soil over.

Yesterday morning I found her on the perch unable to lift her head. I have looked for advice on the internet and I think it it crookneck but not sure if it could be new castles decease or poison?

She is very lethargic does not want to move around, sleeping nearly all the time and shows no real interest in food. I bought some nutri drops yesterday after she has had them she is a little better for a while but not enough to eat anything and I have managed to get her to take water by dropping water onto her beak.

Should I be filling her crop? and if so how do I do that!

How do I tell the difference between newcastles decease, crookneck and poisoning?

Any help greatly appreciated, this is a very sweet little bird, were there is life there is hope and I hope we can get her to pull through.

Comment (1)