Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grit question for a friend

Posted by sundae NW Iowa (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 22, 08 at 7:40

There are 25 brahma chicks right now and she is moveing them around the yard in a mobile coop. Question is this, her gran used to let some of her hens graze in the yard and she said if they graze they don't need grit in their feed. Her mom says this is wrong that she must have misunderstood. Of course Gran's not around to settle this disagreement, and she doesn't want to do it wrong. If anyone knows let me know and I will pass this info along. Oh and if they do need grit then when?

S.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grit question for a friend

If they have a gravel driveway to peck at, or a sand pit with lots of small rocks, then they should be okay, but I sprinkle chick grit for my little baby chicks to make sure they definitely get it. Older birds usually find lots of rocks, but we have a lot of rocks and gravel around here. Recently I have butchered a few birds, and their gizzards were full of small rocks from where they were eating the rocks from the sand we have near the garden.

o

ewwwwl and people eat gizzards?

o

Even when my chicks get out in their tractor everyday, I make sure they have grit available to them. That way there's no question as to whether they need it or not. I use playground sand (you can buy it at Lowe's, Home Depot, and many feed stores for a couple bucks). I also use the sand mixed with DE to make a "hole" for them to take a dust bath in.

P.S. Sundae, NW Iowa, eh? We have a cabin on Lake Okoboji and I lived in Algona years ago. Love it up there in that area!

o

My free range flock never needs grit, they get it from the dirt in the yard. Perhaps your mom is thinking of oyster shell, which provides calcium.

Velvet ~:>

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here