Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saoodhashim

Urban Goat and Chicken Raising

saoodhashim
9 years ago

Hi there!

I live in Karachi, Pakistan which is an urbanized place in Pakistan and the cost of land is just too much.

Assuming I have a 2 floor building plus the roof top (2000 square foot on each floor and the roof top), I was planning on using the 1st floor for my living, the second floor (which is actually just a big hall with just the four boundary walls) for raising goats and chicken and on the roof top doing my routine vegetable gardening.

My specific question of this post is that is it possible for raising goats and chickens inside like suggested above? Is such an arrangement workable without a significant financial investment.

Please spare me, if the question I have raised is stupid. I have never raised chickens or goats and last season was my first gardening experience (and it was very encouraging). Since it was encouraging I thought of expanding into the other areas, albeit on a small scale (2 goats and some chickens - 10 or so?)

Waiting for your valued comments.

Regards

Saood

Comments (9)

• Niivek
    9 years ago

That sounds really cool. I don't currently raise goats, but I would be worried about them chewing up the floor, walls and electric. Chickens probably wouldn't be a problem as long as you can ventilate the area enough to blow the stink out.

• saoodhashim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Chewing up concrete floor? I dont think that would be a possibility. Plus the other safeguard can be put in place for electric wires.

I was just wondering whether being indoors without access to ample natural sunlight and unrestricted access to fresh air may have any detrimental effect of the health of chicken/goats?

• Niivek
    9 years ago

Wasn' t sure if the floor was concrete or wood or something else. Just make sure stuff you don't want chewed up is chew proofed. I'd say raising them indoor is not the most ideal situation, but most commercial livestock in the US are raised indoors without sunlight.

• Niivek
    9 years ago

Have you looked into raising rabbits? I don't know if they are Halaal or if you would want to eat them. I just started raising them for meat over the winter. They breed like crazy producing a lot of meat, don't take up much room, feed seems cheap, they don't smell bad, make noise and their manure doesn't need to be precomposted before using on the garden.

• saoodhashim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Niivek.

Yes Rabbits are certainly Halaal and they are a great idea to think on as well. Frankly it never occurred to me until you said.

Is there any book that you would recommend. I had one Rabbits for dummies but it is mostly written towards keeping them as pets instead of any meat / business etc.?

Regards

Saood

• Niivek
    9 years ago

I learned everything I know from the internet. 4H is a school kid farming program in the States. They have quite a few websites with very useful info.
    Seems like the main meat breeds are Californians or New Zealands. I don't know how difficult they would be to find in Pakistan, but I'm sure there are breeds in your neck of the woods that have good meat-to-bone ratio, are fast breeders and good tempers. If not, you can selectively breed a new breed over time.

• saoodhashim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Appreciate if you can guide me to the link of those useful websites?
    Thanks
    Saood

• jjaazzy
    9 years ago

The chickens are doable and you could always bring them to the roof for a field trip each day. I keep my rooster and two hens in the house I have silkies. The silkies don't kick up dust as much as regular breeds so air quality might be a factor. I keep them on wood chips and use that in the garden when they get ripe.
    Goats are just too energetic and they need things to keep them occupied and entertained. The urine might become a huge problem too.
    The sun does provide health benefits, but rabbits can't be in the sun anyway.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

One problem with gardening on the roof is that the building might not be strong enough to hold up the weight of the soil, the pots, and the vegetables. No offense intended, but the quality of the buildings in the MidEast is often really bad because inspectors take bribes, contractors skimp on the materials, and the designs are often altered without asking engineers if it is safe.

Only if you are sure you can do it without damage to the building.

Concentrate on everbearing crops and fast ones or what you can grow that is expensive - tomatoes, peppers, brinjal, okra, and fresh herbs? Allow some space for growing fresh greens for your livestock.

Get the plants going first, because that is part of your animal food.

Have a plan for dealing with the animal waste or you will have flies and rats all over your building ... compost it, sell it to other gardeners, but it's

Rabbits would work better than goats - easier to control, mature faster, and quieter, and less smelly.

Chickens need really EXCELLENT sanitation and ventilation to survive indoors, but people in cold climates keep them cooped for 4-6 months a year. If you screened the windows, and cleaned daily it will work.

One way to handle it is to have two pen areas ... lure them to one with food and keep them there while you clean the other one. Alternate like that.